Rear speaker wiring... already there?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holty

Reaction score
A mate is wanting to put rear speakers into his 2005 STR. The speaker housing etc is already there but is the wiring already there to the head unit? Would save a load of time and effort and if it isn't he's going to postpone the job until he can do about 5 things all at the same time when door skins, dash etc are all out at the same time...

Apparently the wiring goes to the B Pillar.

I payed Autobarn to do mine as I had to much work on, mine ran to the amp behind the back seat.

Dave.

Oy!

use the search feature,
there is a thread about this very topic.....
the rear speaker wiring that is,
not the search feature,
but then again there is a lot of reference to the search feature...

what was the question again?

run them alongside the gearbox tunnel under the centre console, then under the carpet under the front seats. Remove the seat-belt brackets that mount to the floor. Remove the plastic B pillar covers. run the speaker cables through the rubber grommet. you'll fit 4-5" speakers in the bottom front corner of the back doors (flush mount, you will need to remove the ash tray completely). I mounted 6.5" fusion 3 ways on some round spacers as they wouldn't quite fit flush mount style.

My 03 str had the cables run from the speaker cut out in the door to the b pillar, I just cut the plugs off and joined my speaker cable to these, saves trying to get them through the grommet. I mounted 6 inch 3 ways on a spacer but they are muffled by the seat so the above suggestion would be a good idea

yeah, the older models might have the cables there already. My 09 didn't have any....

Have a look at the electrical diagrams in the service manuals..

The '08 model has the wiring already installed and taped to the loom in the rear door from the factory.
The '05 model may be the same.

I actually had my back door apart today, and I found the best place to put the speakers would be as mentioned where the ashtray is. The shallow basket Pioneers I bought fit without fouling the window when it is down, just have to make a small mdf mount for the speaker, run the wiring, and cut the hole in the door trim.

Speaking of wiring I had none in the door, and I haven't taken the B-pillar molding off to see if any is there. Trying to follow the electronic service manual is an exercise in frustration for me, I never find the info I need despite following the different revisions, (just give me the 2004 model info when I click on it ffs! :devil:).

I'm off to buy a Gregorys, cost more but stacks more info and far easier to follow.

Last edited:
The loom to the centre left side with the two pin connector shown there in the centre infront of the window runner with the grey tape is for the rear speaker that nissan forgot to install. Grrrrr:rant::rant::rant:

Attachments

• DSC_0018 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_0018 (Medium).JPG
    142 KB · Views: 432
Ahhhh, I think I did see that lonesome plug sitting on the door frame, bugger going to have to rip into it again first thing Sat morning to check.

One thing I am going to do is install some Dynamat or similar to the outer door panels, they vibrate like crazy now with just a moderate amount of bass going through the stereo, and I have to cut it to virtually zero to stop the buzz.

So many jobs to do, so little money.:sad:

Ok, well today I got one rear door set up with my new Pioneer speakers. Took bloody ages, what a stuff around.

DSCF6795.jpg

I made up some plywood spacers that followed the actual cutout behind the ashtray, instead of just making some simple round ones, I must be a nut.:sarcastic:

DSCF6794.jpg

What are Nissan thinking putting the window runner directly behind the original speaker hole?? Anyway, took to the door trim with a super sharp stanley knife, got the hole reasonably round. Was a bugger trying to work out templates and hole positions etc from door to door trim. Oh, and watch out if you are feeling around inside the door if you drop a nut or something. There is a razor sharp folded metal piece in the corner that will slice any probing fingers like a scalpel, ask me how I know, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DSCF6796.jpg

More or less half finished, still have to run the wiring from the B-Pillar to the stereo. I cut off the original stereo wiring plugs and had to lengthen the cable to reach the new speaker position, and with the window coming down, it misses the speaker magnet by about 1/4".

That took most of the day, how do these shops do it so quickly? I'm sure the other door tomorrow will be half that time, then its time to pull out the dash and run the rest of the wiring, yipeeeeeeee,

I might have to get full coverage speaker grills as well, they are a little too open for my liking, (with 2 girls and their feet kicking into them)

Hoo Roo

Last edited:
looks good mate.. been keen to do something similar but i can't bear to cut off my door trim... :wub:

Mmmm, I thought the same thing, mainly about stuffing up the hole and then having to buy a new door trim! But it was fairly easy as you know that as long as you don't cut any more than needed (speaker hole size) you'll be ok.

Last edited:
Did this on the weekend on an 04 ST-R.

The rear speaker wire is tape with grey tape (2 pin adapter) upper right of the factory speaker position. Then the other end is taped to the factory loom in the B-Pillar. When you take off the b pillar, behind a white plastic cover is the loom connectors. Pull them out and you'll find the other end of the rear speaker wire. Solder to these, run them the sides, or along the centre console to the back of the radio.

I managed to fit a pair of shallow basket pioneers, where the factory speaker cover is in the rear door. I used a piece of 12MM MDF about 200x190 bolted to the door frame and positioned the speaker just shy of the right most edge. I used a couple of washers to space the plate slightly so that the speaker was off the metal bracket of the window. If you position the speaker just right you get the extra depth from the speaker grill on the door trim.

After that, check your fitment of the door and make sure the windows aren't blocked and you are done. If you want higher quality speakers you'll have to move to where the ashtray is, but i didn't want to cut up the door and these speakers are fine for rear fill.

Thanks Raywise and elilindner. Trying to work out which way I'll go with my rear speakers. Your info is valuable and clear to follow. Cheers.

Mate I have quoted the necessary nissan part number for the wiring harness needed to plug into the back of the genuine head-unit in 1 of my previous posts. Just check my posts and see if you can find it. It's a piece of piss to do. My speakers are slightly muffled by the seat as they're mounted in the original holes.... moving them further along might be the way to go.

Latest posts

Back