2006 navara ST-X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kell26

Reaction score
Hi everyone

this is my first post on this forum and we are hoping to buy a navara ASAP. We have just had an inspection on a 06 navara ST-X, diesel, 6 speed manual that came back with a number of issues. As we are not familiar with 4wd we are wondering weather anyone could tell us if these are common issues or if we should steer clear of this one and keep looking? the issues are as follows

clutch needs to be replaced
drive belt needs to be replaced
CV boot and Joint need to be replaced
mirror switches don't work
cracked indicator and light lens
lock on the canopy doesn't latch
cigarette lighter doesn't operate
surface Rust on the crossmember
wheel alignment needed
mud flaps either fixed or replaced

the vehicle has spent the past 4 year in hervey bay so we are aware there is a good chance it has been off road and on the beach as it has all terrain tyres fitted.

Thank you in advance for any feedback given!

Michael

Welcome to the forum. That one sounds like it's had a rough life. Might be advantageous to keep looking. The 2006 model had issues with its diff, the clutch issues were more with the early 2009 manuals, it's entirely possible that the car you're looking at has just been driven hard. The other items may just be wear and tear on a vehicle that was driven like a rental car.

Yeah i am with Killswitch... to be a harvey bay car i would say many trips to Fraser as well... Keep looking they pop up but the other question to ask is how many K's and how much are they asking... but is it worth the money to fix or are you just getting someone else's problems...!!!

Hey Kell,,

In my opionion i,d steer clear of it,, Keep searching u,ll find one that,s in beter nik than that for sure

Hi all

thanks so much for all your feedback. Our gut feeling is to keep looking. The car had 81000km on the clock and they it was $32000. thanks for putting our minds at ease, we feel something better will come along!!

cheers

Hi all

thanks so much for all your feedback. Our gut feeling is to keep looking. The car had 81000km on the clock and they it was $32000. thanks for putting our minds at ease, we feel something better will come along!!

cheers

Keep in mind that you can buy a new RX Dual Cab 4wd for $34000 now at Metro Nissan Brisbane. Nissan are doing great deals on D22 and D40 at the moment.

Good luck, Regards

Greg

Yeah Kell i would say your gut feeling is good.... and i am sure you will join us with a Navara soon enough!!!!

We are trying to find some information about the differences between the RX, ST and ST-X. We know they are different models but we can't seem to find what the differences in features are between the three models.

Cheers

Consider the RX a basic model, the ST is a Thai-built near-the-top model and the STX is the top of the range, with the dual cab version built in Spain (VIN starts with "VSK").

thanks!! So what features does the RX not have that the others do? I have heard it is more of a work car???

Yeah it's definitely a work car. I had the pamphlet around here somewhere but I've lost it.

It's probably missing cruise control, maybe central locking, puddle lights in the mirrors, might have a lower grade stereo unit ... it doesn't come with sports bars, it gets a steel square tube frame instead. I'm not sure if the rims are steel on the RX - the ST and STX get alloys (except the spare, which shits me to tears but hey who am I to Nissan).

Hi Kell,

Where are you located? I'm in Logan and I've got an 08 ST-X Diesel Manual that I will be trading in on a new ST-X (auto) towards the end of the month. PM me if you want to know more or are interested in having a look.

Cheers,
Ben

I've found my pamphlet. Let's just assume we're talking RX Dual Cab and STX Dual Cab in the diesel (there's no petrol RX Dual Cab).

The RX is missing the following things that the STX has:

* Driver seat height and lumbar support
* Split fold rear bench seat
* Power door mirrors
* Remote central locking
* 6-stack in-dash CD player
* has 4 speakers not 6
* Cruise Control
* Sunglasses holder in overhead console
* Leather bound steering wheel and leather shift lever
* Child restraint anchorages (3)
* Passenger vanity mirror
* Rear heater vents
* Engine immobiliser
* turn-back safety power window (driver)
* 4 3-point seat belts (STX has 5)
* Alloy sports bar
* Utili-track system
* Side steps
* Chrome step-type rear bumper
* has Remote fuel lid instead of Lockable fuel lid

The STX is missing the following things that the RX has:
* Cigarette lighter and ashtray
* the RX has an alloy spare, not a bloody steel like the STX!
* Rear window guard frame

There are also colour range differences.

I believe the KC is made in Thailand as well, so its chassis will not be the same as the STX Dual Cab, which is made in Spain.

Spanish builds can be identified by the VIN starting with "VSK". Thai builds start with "M" (MN, MR and maybe others).

* the RX has an alloy spare, not a bloody steel like the STX!

I didn't think the RX came with alloys... But that's just going by memory from about 3 years ago when I bought my ST-X.... So I'm most probably mistaken

According to my pamphlet (2009 range), every model has alloy rims now, and it's only the RX dual cab that has an alloy spare. Every other D40 in the range comes with a steel spare.

I don't get why they did that.

Then again the pamphlet may not reflect what we end up with being delivered too.

Hi guys

we have found another navara it is 07 petrol D40, 86000km manual. we have had an RACQ inspection done and this one is much better but the inspector said there is a audible noise when changing gears more so in 1st and second gear. We have heard that the early model 2007, which this one is, does have a noise that is makes when going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st does anyone know if this is correct? Or does it sound like the gear box is on the way out? There was no sign that it has been off road, no all terrain tyres or rust underneath. It is a clean looking car that we have been told has been used as a work car for a real estate agent. That was really the only issue that was picked up in the inspection.

cheers

Kell

I have an 08 (07 build) D40 Diesel (45,000km) Mine has an occasional noise when letting the clutch out in first gear. I don't know what it is. I thought it may have been an engine mount but they look intact. The only thing that puts me off the petrol models is their range. I have a mate that has one and he reckons he is filling up at every2nd servo he sees.... But they do have some impressive power going on :D

Some people get quite reasonable economy out of the petrol D40 - I've seen someone quoting low teens. It's supposed to get mid-to-late teens. Compared to diesels - supposed to get 10.5, but some people have gotten under 10 - the petrol model is quite thirsty.

However, driven economically you should expect to get 500+km from a tank and you'll have a decent amount of power too.

Just don't expect to follow us oilers through the river! :big_smile:

As for that noise - it's really hard to diagnose the sound of the text, so I can only relay what we've been told about before - it's possibly the clutch and/or pressure plate - which is not cheap, but if you take it for a spin and ride the clutch a little you ought to feel it not engage as well as it ought to. It could just as easily be the clutch pedal - some people have reported that coming loose.

For what it's worth it'll have a warranty. If you like the vehicle and the only thing is a noise, tell them to get rid of the noise and you'll buy it. Don't buy it knowing that it has a noise - otherwise they could claim "they knew about it when purchased, so it's not a fault we need to fix under warranty" - whether that's right or wrong, they could argue about it until the warranty runs out.

Back