Rear Suspension Setup - advice needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointblank5

Reaction score
Hi all, just after a bit of help on my rear setup. (2002 D22 DX D/cab)
Current setup:rancho 5000 shox all round, EFS torsion bars wound up, original leafs, DIY extended shackles and 2 deg castor wedges.

I think i may have gone too high in the shackle department as even after the castor wedges i still get some vibration under power in 2nd.

Plus the ride is shit from the rear. But i like the flex its got atm...

So my question; Should i just get some shorter extended shackles, or should i go for some medium/comfort rated ~40mm lifted leafs (will the lifted leafs give the good articulation ive got now?)

Ive researched enough to know that the ride should improve.
Also in general the medium springs are 150kg rated, so if i was to carry two motorbikes occasionally (100-110kg each) would this be a bad idea?

Any advice/experience is much appreciated :) cheers, James

From my understanding the factory leafs will get the best flex.

Longer shackles are illegal from memory but its up to you.

Dave.

As Dave said, the factory springs will give you the best flex, especially with extended shackles (approx 75mm longer than stock for a 2" lift)

Its mostly the std shocks that are the problem.

If you go medium duty 2" lifted spring you need at least 150kgs in the back to make 'em work/flex.

OME leaves are shit. Thats my input. Putting the originals back in this weekend. No Load. Standard tub plus cannopy and they are inverted after 20k kms.
Fuck I hate ARB and Nissan.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Dave: yeah i know shackles are illegal... but it doesnt really bother me. Ok so i gather the factory springs will give the best flex because they are softer and sagged in most cases... is this right?
I'd like to know if new 2" raised springs will give similar flex or if theres just no comparison?

Tommy: Thanks mate, yeah i ditched the original shocks as soon as i got the car!!
I thought i read somewhere that the medium/comfort 150kg springs were only slightly uprated from the original leafs? I dont need any weight in the back atm to get good flex...

Aido: haha thanks for that input mate... yeah i went into arb once and nearly fell over when they showed me the prices... havent been back since!

Then new springs will probably take a while to "soften" up. Eventually you will get good flex out of them.

Cheers Josh! thats what i wanna hear :)
any one else out there with experience of extended shackles vs raised springs?
James

factory springs sag really quick so theres little point doing shackles.
i would get an extra leaf fitted to the factory springs. fixes the sagging spring problem and gives a 2-3" lift. single leaf is still fairly soft and flexible. i havn't had a chance to compare against mates 2 leaf.

cheers Tweake
Yeah i thought about the add a leaf thing... my springs have done about 190k kms so i was thinking they may be past their use by date?
Are you talkin about something like the rancho add a leaf kit, which is about $175 from memory?
How is the ride anyway? do u still get clotheslined by the seatbelt when u go over a speed bump in second?

don't know about off the shelf kits. the rancho ones look like an extra short spring. ours where custom made (and old springs reworked back into shape) but they are an extra main spring ie goes full length.

not sure on cost as it was done years ago and i'm also on the other side of the ditch ;)

not sure on cost as it was done years ago and i'm also on the other side of the ditch ;)

no probs mate, im having a guess and saying that getting the springs reset and getting an extra leaf made would cost more than the cheaper end of new leafs (iron man, efs etc) any one else agree?

James

with having the spring reset, as far as i know, not having done it, it will make your leaf shorter. Possibly giving you undesireable shackle angle. Lifted leafs will also be longer to compensate for the extra angle. Long + soft leafs = best suspension travel.

that does make sence Josh
well now im leaning towards just getting the 2" raised springs
when they say for example 150kg gvm rating... does anyone know what this means?
because i occasionally put about 210kg in the back, but 95% of the time its empty. are these comfort/medium 150kg springs gona stand up to the occasional load?
Cheers fellas
James

if its empty 95% of the time then yeah id just go with the 150kg

Fixed for you Tweak'e.

Hey Tweak'e what part of NZ you in ?

Been thinking of taking a trip over there.

Dave.

it was right the first time :rock:
just north of auckland. lots of northland clay, lovely sticky gooey clay.

shackle angle seams fine. don't think thats a big issue.

Mate I had STD springs with extended shackles and yes, they did flex well. But horrible ride otherwise. Just fitted EFS springs + shocks and it's much better on road. Flexed them up with empty tub and they worked well! Looks like they were maxed out. With no weight in the back. (Constant 150kg spring) They are brand new, so I expect them to soften up a bit over time.

Ok thanks Joshy appreciate your input!
Super Tourer, thanks for that... i know what you mean by horrible ride!!
Sweet i think i will go with some 2" 150kg springs then... sounds like the best option

Thanks every one for your help on this! much appreciated!
James

Latest posts

Back