D22 Snorkle.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ST-R

Reaction score
Hello All,

Well this arvo i tackled the Snorkle Installation on the mighty D22. I used a genuine Nissan Snorkle and was very impressed by the quality of the parts and the excellent instructions. It moulds like a glove to the LHF Guard. took about 5 hours being very particular about fit and finish. All holes drilled were painted with genuine touch up paint and when the snorkle was bolted up i smothered everything with the genuine anti rust grease. It looks excellent fitted.

A question though? I presumed that the air filter housing would have had a drain/sediment trap like say an 80 series cruiser, it doesn't. So what happens to the ingested water if your driving in heavy rain? I presume that it goes to the filter and slowly gets sucked through and into the engine? How much is too Much and i am thinking about putting a drain hose on the air filter housing that can be blocked off for water crossings etc, Has anyone done this or similar?

Regards

Greg

I have recently put a 2010 Genuine Nissan Snorkel on my 2006 D22 ST-R with the intake pipe from a 2009 model. I have also wondered how any water ingress is supposed to drain out as there is no drain on the main filter housing. Having driven in the rain a few times since the installation i cant say i have noticed any water in there as yet.

I have recently put a 2010 Genuine Nissan Snorkel on my 2006 D22 ST-R with the intake pipe from a 2009 model. I have also wondered how any water ingress is supposed to drain out as there is no drain on the main filter housing. Having driven in the rain a few times since the installation i cant say i have noticed any water in there as yet.

Have you had a look at the air filter after a rainy drive?

Greg

Last edited:
The 2.5 only has a cylindrical air filter housing. There is a moulded provision at the bottom for a drain but it is formerd without one.

Interesting to find out.

Regards
Greg

Hello All.

Here is a picture of the finished installation. pretty much have the Nav how i want it...For Now.

Regards
Greg

Attachments

• ST-R Snorkle 002.jpg
    ST-R Snorkle 002.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 174
And,

I have fitted a drain at the bottom of the cylindrical air filter box in the boss that is formed for a drain. I presume that some markets or earlier models had a drain flap like Toyotas do. I used coventional ag/plumbing fitting and have a screw on cap for water crossings or extreme dust. The nut on the inside is approx 4mm high so in theory up to 4mm could sit in the valley under the filter before draining off.

Regards

Greg.

Attachments

• ST-R Snorkle mod003.jpg
    ST-R Snorkle mod003.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 168
Some of the snorkels out there filter the water out at the actual inlet of the snorkel, not sure which ones exactly. The way it works is when you're driving along at a decent speed, the water that comes in the inlet of the snorkel travels towards the rear of the inlet, and just hits the back wall of the inlet and drips straight down through a slit at the back. In effect it works a bit like a wind deflector on the back of a 4X4 wagon..... Like I said though, not sure if the Nissan snorkels feature this....and even then it wouldn't be completely successful, some drops of water will always get through, but I'm sure a few drops here and there won't do any damage, they would just get vapourised in the combustion chamber anyway me thinks.

Some of the snorkels out there filter the water out at the actual inlet of the snorkel, not sure which ones exactly. The way it works is when you're driving along at a decent speed, the water that comes in the inlet of the snorkel travels towards the rear of the inlet, and just hits the back wall of the inlet and drips straight down through a slit at the back. In effect it works a bit like a wind deflector on the back of a 4X4 wagon..... Like I said though, not sure if the Nissan snorkels feature this....and even then it wouldn't be completely successful, some drops of water will always get through, but I'm sure a few drops here and there won't do any damage, they would just get vapourised in the combustion chamber anyway me thinks.

This type seems to have no way out that i can see. I can just imagine kids playing with the hose, chuckling as they hose down the pipe(Snorkle) . The idea comes from experience i guess. I can recall putting the hose up the exhaust of mum's 74 Toyota Corona which at the time was only a few years old. We thought it was great when Mum started it up and water went everywhere!! Dad was not amused as was later evidenced by the red marks on the back of our legs and the usual tears only a mischeavous lad could achieve!!

I feel comfortable having fitted a drain.

Regards
Greg

Bad thing about the drain is if you stop in deep water and water flows up through the drain straight into your engine.
The Nissan snorkel head does have a single slit in the back and it does work, just how well, I don't know yet.

Latest posts

Back