Bad Shudder when reversing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi

Help Please :hmmmm2:
I have noticed a really violent shudder or jumping when reversing my son's Navara 4x4 Cab Chas with steel tray. At times it is almost impossible to reverse it due to the violent jumping/shuddering.

Has he changed the oil in the diff and replaced it with NON lsd type?
Years ago my mate did that and caused those symptoms when reversing.

I had the same thing but didn't matter if i was reversing or normal driving. The rear diff centre dropped a tooth.

could be simply spinning rear tires and one wheel bouncing due to poor suspension.
get it quite often in reverse due to LSD slips more in reverse than when going forwards.

could be simply spinning rear tires and one wheel bouncing due to poor suspension.
get it quite often in reverse due to LSD slips more in reverse than when going forwards.

You might be right there tweak'e It seem OK in forward and seems worst when trying to reverse up a bit of a hill or up the driveway. It does seem like wheel bounce and not related to Diff or Gearbox/clutch.
I had thought about the lack of weight. Ours is steel tray so god help an ali tray.

Scottybobcat.
Have a look at the centre bearing on the tail shaft.does it do it driving forward.

Mate I had noticed when underneath there is what looked like torn rubber around this bearing. I need to have another look at this.

What I did notice is that the main gearbox mount rubber has been renewed recently.

Any more ideas welcome.

Cheers Ric

Here's a couple of idea's.
1. Replace the centre bearing in the tailshaft.
If that doesn't fix it,
2. Replace the primary chain and cogs in the transfer case as they are badly worn.
If that doesn't fix it:
3. Send the vehicle to me, I need some spares :)

Seriously, it will probably be the first item but if that is ok it will be the second one.

Have a nice day!

Back