Oil leak from front of gear box??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint.B

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just found a leak on the front of what I think is the gearbox. Now I am a total numpty when it comes to the Navara as I have only owned it for a few weeks and I don't have a shop manual yet.

The leak seems be be coming from a gasket that has a thin plate over the top (1mm ish) sealing the end of the box. The leak is coming from just infront of the one of the forward cross members and behind the sump. Also there seems to be possibly a bolt missing?

Can you guys point me in the direction of wtf I am looking at and if you think its leaking because it is missing a bolt or if the gasket is rooted and has to be replaced. Is it possible this bolt has been removed and not replaced in a recent service? Doesn't look like any easy replacement.

I had the turbo bearings go two weeks ago so it was just rebuilt under used car warranty. So now another pain in the ass. Hoping I have not just bought a lemon.

See photo:
Orientation is the sump towards the front of the car and the cross member towards the rear

IMAG0160.jpg

is it d22 or d40 and auto or manual.If it is manaul and close to the motor you dont have oil there as it has a clutch there so you probably have a leaking rear main or have done a front shaft seal.If it is d40 and auto it could be th same.
What is the oil engine,gearbox or trany fluid.It is hard to from you photo

It does look like a bolt is missing, that's true, but unless one of us with an identical car can get underneath and take a squiz, we won't know for sure.

As Scott asks, let us know the model and gearbox type so one of us can take a look under ours.

Did you buy a lemon? Don't know the answer to that. You might find this and another small problem and once you're passed them you may have a brilliant vehicle. While you've got warranty, take the thing back and get it fixed. Including the bolt - if there's a thread in the hole, then my guess is a bolt should be occupying that space. It certainly looks like it's been manufactured for a bolt to go in there.

Fairly sure there should be a bolt there. As for it being the cause of the leak, I don't think so. That plate and (liquid, not manufactured) gasket are only there to keep mud, water, whatever out of the clutch pack. The bolt that is missing just holds the MT plate onto the bellhousing, it doesn't hold the engine and gearbox together. I'd say you're looking at a rear main seal. Not an expensive part, but the labour to change it is a killer. If I were looking at doing a rear main seal I'd get a HD clutch installed at the same time to make the labour dropping the box worthwhile.

Then again if it's under warranty, what does it matter what the labour costs.

Sorry guys its a 2006 d22 manual. Was going off-road and camping this w.e but may give it a miss now! Had a look at the work navara and it doesn't have any bolts and that plate is coming away but it doesn't seem to be leaking.

Leaks shouldn't happen. The dealer won't be able to fix it quickly if it's a main seal - the engine has to be separated from the gearbox and the flywheel has to come off, best done with the donk out so things can be torqued up properly as they go back together.

Better him than you though, it's a shit of a job.

Here's a good question - is it engine oil or gearbox oil? It could be either.

It's hard to tell as the oil is getting dirty from road grime. Leak is reasonably small as well so can't get enough on the finger to check colour, smell etc. Getting a trusted mechanic to have a look this avo before I call the dealer.

Well trusted mechanic refuses to believe a seal has gone and thinks that the guys who did the warranty job on the turbo two days ago have dropped oil everywhere and that the oil hes then crept along the seam on the front tranny seal and has crept up in between the hard gasket and the protector plate and has formed a little pool in there and has also been blown everywhere when I drove it home. No oil is leaking onto the driveway (so bugger all is coming out) at all so it has been de greased and we will see if anything comes back over the next few days. Fingers crossed!

On another note the trusted mechanic went over the turbo job and the warranty mechanic has left a few mounting bolts loose etc. Hate that feeling when you don't trust a mechanic but your forced to use them by the dealer.

Back