265/75R16 bad choice for me....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had some Bridgestone D694LTs fitted last week, instead of going with the original size of 265/70R16, I thought I would go a step bigger....

....Bad mistake. My truck now drives like a slug. It has lost any get up an go it ever had. Towing is terrible now.

I am now forced to go for a chip and exhaust or drive this slug around until i can afford it. Man, aint hindsight a b!tch.

The tyres themselves seem great, just didn't expect the increase in size to have such a dramatic effect.

Any one else find this when fitting larger tyres??????????? How did you fix it???

Cheers

Yes, I had the effect, but I have exhaust and chip to make up for it. In the past if someone has asked the question and they tow I have warned against the increase in size as it does kill power.

Putting it simply you have changed your final drive ratio hence the loss of power. Your choices are either revert to the old smaller tires , increase your engines power or last but least change your diffs ( yes both of them ) gear ratios.

You would need 34/35' to change the gearing to bring it back to standard.

Next ratio is 4.636 found in the VG33E and QD32 powered Navara's. But then you would change the whole housing to the H233B. Or track down a diff out of KA24DE Navara.

Revert back or chip it and exhaust.

Dave.

Thanks for the info...

I am setting this truck up for a Simpson Desert trip at the end of May 09, is the chip/exhaust mod going to cause heat issues without an intercooler??

What other mods should I concider at the same time, I have seen posts about guages etc, really want to get to the other end of the desert in one piece. (Am travelling with a Range Rover, would never live down being towed out!!!:suicide:)

Thanks again!!

hmm that bad hey... i was going to go 265/75 next set but i'd prefer to not kill the performance. that said i'm not a leadfoot so ripping off the line at the lights isn't my thing. i wonder just how bad it is :/

id try and get the intercooler in as it will help performance issues in the heat. just have a full service before you leave and you should be alright.

man some of you guys must have some highly developed senses to pick up the difference.

I have 265/75/16 BFG All Terrains on my new Nav D22 STR and to be honest I didnt notice a lot of difference, only drove on the standard 265/70/16 for a week or 2 but to me not that noticable...............

Just had a look at the Bridgestone website and the D694 265/70R16 tyres have an outside diameter of 779mm and 265/75R16 has an OD of 808mm. It's a 3.7% difference so there should only be a 3.7% decrease in power/torque when driving.

Should note that I assume your old tyres were the D693 tyres (which are fitted to the D22 as standard) which are not even listed on the Bridgestone website as being available in 265/70R16 size, must be Japan special for Nissan!

Bridgestone 4WD Tyres

I was thinking of going up to 75 tyres when the time comes which should make the speedo a bit more accurate!

just do the exhaust, even with 35's the exhaust made a massive difference, climb steep hills no drama now. and it sounds good :big_smile:

i am running 265/75/16 micky t MTZ's with a chip and i cant tell the difference in power from the old ones

i only noticed a bit when i put mine on that size,
but they i put the gas conversion and exhaust.
then i went the chip aswell and it goes hard then a standard one with standard tyres

G'day guys, i'm off to the kimberley in 7 weeks and also looking at going a bigger size, as Marvin3, with the micky thompson MTZ 265/75/16, i also have a chip and 2.75" exhaust.

But do the 75's scrub on the mud flaps or are there any other issues going the bigger size.

cheers,

Lance

The only place the 265/75 MTZs scrubbed on mine were on the front mudflaps when the wheel was turned, the fix is to trim the mudflap a little right where it hits, it still rubs but removes any edges for the tyres to catch on, or if you don't mind swinging a hammer take the mud flaps off and belt the sill back a little to give more clearance, the mudflaps are hard against the sills.

you guys are picky, i got a QD nav and i went from the std 205's to 31" muddies thats a performance hit. pros outweigh the cons, i get further on less right foot with bigger tyres

Latest posts

Back