Increased boost after blocking EGR?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micko2530

Reaction score
Hello all.

Did the EGR block & butterfly mod on the weekend. Also installed boost & EGT guages a couple of weeks ago.

I seem to be running a higher boost level at cruise now (around 12 psi at 110 km/h). Has anyone else observed this? I can only guess that it would be due to the extra exhaust gas having no option now but to go through the turbo???

I have also noticed that the turbo is much louder now, particularly at low RPM's when it is unloaded (i.e. when decelerating). Has anyone else noticed this?

Can't say I noticed an increase in noise from the turbo, but when I blocked the EGR on mine it was a long time ago, and you may see a little increase in boost pressure for a given RPM as the exhaust pressure is no longer being lowered by the EGR system.

The engine will be using more fresh air! (not recycled through the EGR system)

more air in = more exhaust gas out = more boost (minor, maybe 1psi???)

No extra noise from the turbo from me either???

What are your EGT's like after the EGR blanking???

i'm not suprised at the boost increase. simply due to more exhaust gas pushing the turbo which then provides more air into the motor. as their is no butterfly restricting it it gets more air in.
yes it does have more turbo whistle as the turbo is doing higher rpm.
the down side of all this is because your useing more air, the air filters get blocked up a bit quicker.

I figured the same in terms of not losing exhaust gas back into the intake.

Max EGT I have seen is just under 500 degrees. My temp probe is in the exhaust housing of the turbo where the short runner connects into the exhaust manifold so pretty much right in the line of fire so to speak. Was a bit skeptical about putting it here as I didnt want to risk cracking but it seems fine so far.

Can anyone tell me what boost they are seeing at a particular speed for reference purposes.

I am seeing around 8 psi @ 90 km/hr & around 12 psi at 110.

Gotta do mine to. Been meaning to do it for ages but have had to much stuff on for the past few months. Grrrr.

Dave.

@90km/hr I'd generally see about 6-8psi on flat ground, @110km/hr I'd see 8-10 psi, maybe 12 if going into a head wind. Don't be scared of extra boost at a particular speed, more boost makes the ZD30 run cooler exhaust temps.

wots the go with blocking that egr thing?? is it hard to do?? advantages of doing it are???

hey guys,

if i block mine will it still get the same amount of air through it?
as with the gas conversion and the chip the dyno results said my car run's a bit rich.
if i disconnected my egr would the same amount of air go into the motor?
if so it would probably improve my air fuel ratio as fuel wouldn't eb going back throught the motor?? is that correct?
cause i thought if i blocked it i would reduce air to the engine and that is why i haven't done mine.

blocking egr and butterfly will put more air through the motor but only at part throttle.
also be aware that the increase in boost may increase the gas.
if its rich at full throttle wind back the gas a bit.

yeah the gas has been wound back, i think the extra fuel is a result of the chip, but i can turn it down 2.
so when driving on the highway it will put the air same of air in as before it just it will be more cleaner air from the turbo not the egr?
thanks very much for your help with this tweak.
did you block your's the turbo side or other side?

I only blocked mine on the inlet side.

I blocked mine at around 80k I think and the amount of black crap in the inlet hole made me wish I had done it much sooner.

im running a bit slow today, but when you say inlet side? do you mean inlet side into the motor as in driver's side.
or inlet side as turbo side?
laith you saying that make's me want to do it soon as mine is about to click over 99000km.
but im hoping the 32000 km's of the gas conversion has burnt the unburnt diesel so it wont be as bad

Latest posts

Back