Hello All

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonk8

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am the owner of a 2005 D22 str with ZD30DDT. Unfortunately the engine has blown (110,000km's). I was recomended to this site from a user on the nissan-navara.net. Hopefully I can share my experiences with the rebuild of this motor over the coming months, and maybe get some advice on the do's and don'ts and maybe where to get parts from!

Cheers

Simon

Thank you Laith.

Well, i'm not 100% sure at the moment, haven't had a chance to take the head off and have a look. But was coming back from a weekend away and the engine started making a whining noise. It sounded like a bearing in the turbo, but I don't really know. We were talking about what we should do and next minute the engine lost all power and huge clouds of white smoke came out the exhaust. After towing it home, I took it into the nissan dealer where they compression tested it. From memory it had about 30 - 40 psi in cylinders 2 and 4 and about 140 psi in cylinders 1 and 3. Although they couldn't tell me exaclty what was wrong with it, as they would have to do more work at my expense, they recomended a new engine for $15,000. So I said no thanks and I would investigate the problem and any options I have. So far the options I have are:

1) New long crate motor $7000
2) Second hand motor $6000
3) Rebuild Kit $1500

I bought it with 30,000km's on the clock. It had a full service history since new.

Cheers

Certainly sounds like it has holed 2 pistons, but the compression on the other 2 is a fair bit low as well which is a little odd, I wonder if the turbo has spat the compressor wheel and filled the bores with crap, won't take long to hole a piston and destroy the bores once there is no turbo boost pressure, the ZD30 needs boost to stay cool.

That was my initial thought that the turbo had let go. The engine was not running hot, all fluids ok, it gave no real signs prior to letting the smoke out, apart from the whining sound. I might get a chance to take the head off this weekend and have a look. Does this motor have sleeves in the cylinders? The nissan man told me that the most difficult part of the rebuild is to servive the feul pump and re-fit, I am chasing up a service manual now, but it can't be that hard can it?

were u having any performance issues with it? My mates GQ did the same thing, as his injectors were stuffed they created hot spots on the pistons which eventually cracked. his fuel economy was horrific, 27ltr per hundred, and was gutless as hell.

no, no issues whatsoever, it had been running as it was from the day I got it. Fuel economy 8 - 10L /100km and the usual ammount of power.

Simon I got your PM, Ill post the info to you tomorrow.

How is your service history not 100%, serviced a couple of hundred km's over the service ?

Dont let that stop you, it shouldn't effect it like that. Contact Val Davies at Nissan Australia when you get all the info you need.

Dave.

As stated it certainly sounds like the turbo let go.

There was a post about this on the Aust 4x4 forums were I said Bullsh!t. Had many turbo cars and never heard of this. Maybe I'm wrong.

Did you have a turbo timer fitted? If so for how long?

I just went and set my timer to 2 mins from 1 minute. haha.

Simon I got your PM, Ill post the info to you tomorrow.

How is your service history not 100%, serviced a couple of hundred km's over the service ?

Dont let that stop you, it shouldn't effect it like that. Contact Val Davies at Nissan Australia when you get all the info you need.

Dave.

Val No longer works at Nissan she left a few weeks ago.

This the same Buddhi who use to work for Maitland Nissan and then went to Sutton's ?

Who also knows a guy named David S...... who drives a 180SX ?

Dave.

Well, by not being 100% I mean I had to do some services myself, as I just couldn't justify wasting money at the dealer where who knows what goes on, particulary where they tick the boxes on the list without actually doing it.

So, what would be your guys approach? Should I contact Nissan directly? I am positive that from what I have read about the problems with these vehicles that someone on this forum has gone through the same problem. What was their approach? I have had a look through the forums but couldn't find an example.

No turbo timer was fitted, i always thought they were a bit of an overkill, if the manufacturers didn't think it was required then why have one. but i guess they leave alot of useful gear off.

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited:
Simpson, that ain't me. I know him pretty well though.

He use to go out with my sister.

Where you working now, still in the parts department of a Nissan dealer ?

Simon, ring Nissan Australia and let them know whats happened. They will tell you 10 times that there not going to pay. They always do. Dont give up.

If you pull the motor down get a mechanic mate to help, get photos of everything aswell.

Write down everything they say to you.

All the best mate, I will post that info this arvo. Haven't had time to do any sooner as the rain is making my work more busy then usual.

Buddhi got any tips since you have worked for Nissan.
Dave.

Simpson, that ain't me. I know him pretty well though.

He use to go out with my sister.

Where you working now, still in the parts department of a Nissan dealer ?

Simon, ring Nissan Australia and let them know whats happened. They will tell you 10 times that there not going to pay. They always do. Dont give up.

If you pull the motor down get a mechanic mate to help, get photos of everything aswell.

Write down everything they say to you.

All the best mate, I will post that info this arvo. Haven't had time to do any sooner as the rain is making my work more busy then usual.

Buddhi got any tips since you have worked for Nissan.
Dave.

Na the guys that has hte ca - is Simpson

you are Sales?

na you pretty much right, but before you pull it down i would contact nissan, you have no hope if you have already pulled it down and its been done by someone else other than a nissan dealer.

Thats me.

Yeah Dave has a CA18DET powered S13 Silvia which I have helped him do abit on, the timing belts on those are prick to get right.

Seen his 180SX aswell, SR20DET powered, about 220kw at the rear treads. Go pretty hard.

Dave.

Dave, Have you had a chance to post that workshop manual yet?

I have tracked down a second hand engine for my car it has 109000km's on it. I really need to get my car back on the road and this would be a quick way. However, since mine blew at 110000km's, I am a little concerned. It does come with a 6 month warranty. What are peoples thoughts about going down this path?

I would do it, then take my time to learn about and repair the blown engine. Depending on damage recoup some costs by on-selling once you have repaired it.

I was thinking that. Was also thinking about keeping my current engine, rebuilding it and keeping it as a spare just in case it happens again.

Latest posts

Back