Robe - Little Dip - Beachport

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, i thought i'd share with you all my long week end in Robe S.A. What a magnificent place. Good for the soul. Robe is a great little town that comes alive during the holidays and the Oct LWE is no different. It is a great springboard to give you access to some great offroading too. well worth the effort getting there. A UHF and sand flags is a pretty good idea around here too.

i learned a few things about driving the Nav in sandy conditions too. being a frequent flyer in sand i thought it'd be a breeze and i'd be doing my fair share of recovering others. sadly this was not the case. i was rescued twice; and once was by a *ahem* automatic Rav4. how embarrassing! but, those things are actually quite good in sand. light and no need to worry about choosing the right gear.

so i learned;
- light truck rated BFG ATs need to be let down to 15 PSI to get a big enough footprint to be effective. 20 PSI = No Good!
- The Nav is heavy, so you really need to power through turns (in sand) to have any steering. this was my undoing on both occasions. carrying speed and needing to turn hard i backed off. "big mistake". Nav ventured into small sand hills and got me stuck. i could reverse but couldn't climb the exit of the beach (insert Rav4 here *Doh*).
- reversing off dunes, the nav is long and the front wants to swing around and push the car sideways. this requires you to accelerate quite fast to straighten the front back in line. that can be a scary maneuver but a few goes and all is good.

anyway, here's a few snaps and a short clip to give you an idea of what to expect.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DLnf46eesA[/YT]
P1040718.JPG

P1040784.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

(few more pics to follow.)

Planning a trip back there in January 2011, if anyone's interested.

Hope you like it.

Looks like fun, is there much camping around there?

Yeah there are camp grounds in Little Dip that are only accesable by 4wd or others off Nora Criena Rd. they have toilets too.

Good stuff...

How was the fishing?

Supposed to be great, but we were with a bunch of "non-fishers" so that kinda killed that idea. it was designed to be a 4wd weekend though. There are crayfish grounds here too so when they are in season you can catch them too.

Oh, i thought i saw 3 rods on the Rav?

your not greenies are ya's?

No chance of that, I had a few casts when we stopped for lunch with lures without success. Tried again on our way out of town at the marina still no luck. Heaps of people down there feeding them so would have had to be lucky. Still, they reckon it's ment to be great for fishing. Next time.....

Looks like you had a great time in a nice spot.

- The Nav is heavy, so you really need to power through turns (in sand) to have any steering. this was my undoing on both occasions. carrying speed and needing to turn hard i backed off. "big mistake". Nav ventured into small sand hills and got me stuck. i could reverse but couldn't climb the exit of the beach (insert Rav4 here *Doh*).
- reversing off dunes, the nav is long and the front wants to swing around and push the car sideways. this requires you to accelerate quite fast to straighten the front back in line. that can be a scary maneuver but a few goes and all is good.

Sounds about right, try a loaded 4dr F250 with loaded box trailer on soft sand. Hey first soft sand of the trip! Oh we're stuck.:cheers!:

All those little yappy AWD hatches are spritely on sand. Even scooby doo foresters do okay.

Its supposed to be the mecca of surf fishing.
Have seen some great salmon action on vids there in the daytime, tho have not made it there yet.
One day.

Gotta agree with those saying how great Robe is, we stayed there a few years back and although we didn't get much beach driving in at the time I drove my 05 Forrestor down and back up that sand dune in the last picture. Also drove it around some of the tracks to the east of town, wouldn't mind going back there...maybe one day.

Ive been down there many times on my dirt bike but never in my 4wd

Its a great place that I hope to visit with my 4wd very soon

Latest posts

Back