Towing heavy loads what gear ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boofa

Reaction score
Iv got a 2010 d22 just wondering what gear other ppl use when towing 2 tone + 4th or 5th? cheerz

There is already numerous threads about "towing in top gear", "what gear to tow in" etc etc try searching some of the existing threads you'll probably find your answers even if they relate more to earlier models which aren't that much different to yours.

I tow in 5th and keep it in 5th till about 90km/h and then drop back to 4th.

See a hill up ahead, drop back to 4th etc.

Just dont labour it, my Nav is heading towards 190,000km's and the gearbox is as good as new.

Dave.

I second Dave's advice. Drive for economy. If you can keep it in a gear without straining it - whether that's 3rd, 2nd or 5th - do it.

2 tonnes behind the Navara is nothing to be worried about. It's capable of doing it easily, just don't try thrashing the vehicle off at the start and your clutch will thank you with a long trouble-free (and smell-free) life.

I'll third Dave's advice! I have the 2.5 motor as well and don't have any trouble towing in 5th as long as the revs are good you're in the right gear. As a side note I also have 265/75 tyres on mine and it doesn't struggle at all!

Cheers Brad

Hi Boofa, I'll fourth Dave's and second Tony and Nevyn's advice. I don't know how long you've had your nav for but after a while you develop a feel for what your machine is doing. I tow a fair bit, either the camper trailer or the Monaro to get something else done. On the open road it's fine in fith gear, if you feel/hear it start to labour, drop it back a cog, you won't hurt it. (it's not a Toyota).:sarcastic:

Better to ask the question and find out from people that have done it than possibly do some damage. It didn't cost you anything and you were almost entertained by the "glad you bought a real 4WD and not a D40" crowd.

i do the same towing and i genrally try to keep it in the boost rev range and she goes great guns the only problem i have is taking off up hills nissan say put it in low range but i dont know about that it works but i dont wanna hurt my car. how do you go?

Almost 240,000km's on mine now.

Gearbox is still going strong.

Clutch is still going good.

Must be doing something right.

i do the same towing and i genrally try to keep it in the boost rev range and she goes great guns the only problem i have is taking off up hills nissan say put it in low range but i dont know about that it works but i dont wanna hurt my car. how do you go?

Low range is useful in a D22 if you're just manoeuvring on a steep incline. If you're trying to get up to highway speed, you can't so don't bother trying. The best you can do is use low range to get you to the top of the incline, stop, disengage 4WD and start again.

The reason why it's useful on a D22 and NOT on a D40 is the front hubs - you can leave yours unlocked, engage 4LO and have a low ratio rear-only drive (even though your front diff is turned over, the hubs aren't engaged = no problem). The D40 doesn't have that luxury - hubs are permanently engaged - and since 4WD on any surface where you can get decent traction is a no-no, we can't do it.

Low range is useful in a D22 if you're just manoeuvring on a steep incline. If you're trying to get up to highway speed, you can't so don't bother trying. The best you can do is use low range to get you to the top of the incline, stop, disengage 4WD and start again.

i spoke to nissan today when i picked my car up from its service and he said take off in low rang like u said and dont go over 8ks and put it into hi and that will get me going with no or less strain.

I know the D22 is different to the D40 (where you MUST stop in neutral with the brake on to change), but I am not confident that the transfer case will put up with changing between LO and HI while the output shaft is turning at all. I don't think there's a synchro or a clutch inside the transfer case.

Latest posts

Back