how to increase ground clearance on my d40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutley

Reaction score
Have just purchased a 07 D40 RX Dual Cab with alloy tray for work(carpenter/builder) and camping/4wd.
Great car but the ground clearance is ordinary.
I carry all my tools in tool boxes on the tray (about 500kg) and tow a tandem trailer occasionally as well.
The tool boxes will come off when we go off road or camping towing our jayco camper (about 750kg).
I was hoping to get 75 mm more ground clearance.

My local shops seem to have differing opinions on what to do with the rear - helper springs or airbags for the extra weight

Any ideas on what people think is the best way to get lift and load carrying/towing ability?
I also need new tyres so was wondering about trying bigger rubber for extra lift?

bigger rubber will definitely help. i hear 265/75/r16 will also bring the speedo/odo back into line and as it's a esentially a 32" tyre there will be a good bit more ground clearance there. you could also try a body lift kit. certain types i believe are acceptable but i'm still researching those myself so i'm not the best source for reliable info.
your best bet if you want to constantly carry a heavy load and be able to get of road is to get a new suspension set up that will give you a bit of lift and put heavy duty springs etc with it to help with the load. it will be a bit more uncomfortable off the road but you'll need it to tow or carry the toolboxes.
it's goingg to come down to how much you want to spend. 50mm is generally the maximum allowable lift without an engineering cert so you can spend a bit and get the lift plus the cert or you can get 50mm and a bigger set tyres and that will probably do the job
i'm still new to the navara modding game but i hope this helps a little

Shero

Shero has it right, go for a 50mm lift, get some larger tyres (your speedo will become more accurate and your odometer will lose accuracy). Don't use extended shackles.

I would stay away from air bags too, the things could cause your chassis to overstress. Ironman helper springs can be fitted to stiffen the suspension when you're adding some load - this is what I'll be doing to mine.

You could add a body lift as well - which would improve the approach and departure angles.

A good 50mm Lift kit designed for constant load is def the way to go. It has made a huge difference for my Navara. You will find that the OEM settup will have sagged, so a 50mm lift will probably bring the car up more than 75mm.

I still run the 31 inch a/t's around town, but when i go for an off-road adventure, i then have the option of swapping to the 32inch mud terrains that i have spare at home.

My advice is the same as the others have given you. I am just adding an extra warning to Tony's regarding the installation of the air bags.
Last weekend I attended the "Leisure Fest" at Sandown & during a conversation with one of the salesmen I mentioned I had a D40.
His own car is also a D40, & he also wanted to tow a van every now & then & carry tools & gear occasionally, he was encouraged to fit air bags.
He bent his chassis the first time he towed a 2t van.
I said I had fitted the "Ironman" helper springs & he recons even though you need to adjust them (If you want to, I haven't as yet) when you are carrying extra load they are a safer bet.
Phil

Don't forget you'll need to address the front suspension too, no point lifting the ass up 3" without doing something to the front.

Don't forget you'll need to address the front suspension too

50mm lift + tyres will achieve that. The helper springs are for the load. I'm looking at the same thing (minus the tyres for now, just the 50mm lift and helper springs). I'm also interested in how the front will be raised. Before I do it, I have to look closely at how the car fits in the parking station that I use, and my garage.

no point lifting the ass up 3" without doing something to the front.

Mate, you're damn lucky we all know you're talking about a car.

Mate, you're damn lucky we all know you're talking about a car.

Yeah, sounded like a quote from a tradies smoko break.

I had those helper springs on a Hilux, they are OK for carrying extra loads but limit flex something chronic. I feel they are more suited to a 2WD 1 tonne ute rather than a 4WD.

It's always a compromise between onroad comfort/towing ability, and offroad performance with a 4WD ute. IMO pick one and forget the other.

I had those helper springs on a Hilux, they are OK for carrying extra loads but limit flex something chronic. I feel they are more suited to a 2WD 1 tonne ute rather than a 4WD.

It's always a compromise between onroad comfort/towing ability, and offroad performance with a 4WD ute. IMO pick one and forget the other.

For my money I won't be towing when I need to flex, so the helpers will be off anyway. When I am towing, I hope I don't flex too much at all.

My current van won't go up to the cape - 14" wheels, chassis is strong but could be stronger. That sort of destination is waiting for us to obtain a Kedron van - and that 's where my trouble will start!

Bit of a pain pulling the helper springs on and off though.

I still think airbags could be a good option if installed and used correctly. I will be fitting them to my new 4WD, although it will be coil sprung so the chassis breaking scenario is far less likely to happen, if at all.

A good 50mm Lift kit designed for constant load is def the way to go.

I still run the 31 inch a/t's around town, but when i go for an off-road adventure, i then have the option of swapping to the 32inch mud terrains that i have spare at home.

I'd too vote for constant load heavy springs they work brilliantly in my ute (even if it does void new car warranty as I found out). My only comment on going to 32" tyres is that without an engineers certificate they are illegal on a D40.

I'd too vote for constant load heavy springs they work brilliantly in my ute (even if it does void new car warranty as I found out). My only comment on going to 32" tyres is that without an engineers certificate they are illegal on a D40.

Being allowed to fart in your car pretty much needs a certificate of some type these days.

Yet we are told that " we live in the luck country "?

I still think airbags could be a good option if installed and used correctly.

x2

Bent/broken chassis is a result of tray and ball weight overloading and brain malfunction rather than the airbags themselves. Airbags are a great way to hide overloading.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I think ill look at tyres and body lift to start with.
Then put a 50mm suspension lift on the xmas wish list.
Ill have to get organised and get some photos uploaded of the results
cheers

Back