HID conversion interferes with radio?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docp1980

Reaction score
Hi,

I converted my Narva 225's to HID a few months ago and now whenever I turn the spotties on, the radio instantly spits out a heap of static (you can still hear the tunes, just static over the top). As soon as the spotties go off, the static disappears. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? My spotties are wired into my high beam and there was no static prior to the HID conversion...........

I have the same lights and a Ebay HID kit in mine and have no dramas.

Talked to a auto sparkie ?

Dave.

The ballasts for the HID globes are just coils of wire I believe, thats where it will be coming from, why it's doing it is beyond me.

What sort of quality HID kit did you install? Where are the ballasts mounted? If they are cheap/poor quality maybe they aren't shielded correctly?

Clutching at straws here........

Recheck earths/connections as Krafty said as well.

x2 what Krafty said. Particularly the earth to the stereo.

You say your spotties are wired into your high beam - via a relay, or are you driving them directly?

Where have you installed the power unit for the HID lights?

Recheck earths/connections as Krafty said as well.

Damn this small screen I thought that said redneck earths and connections and wondered what the hell you were talking about. I'm good with backyard mechanics but I use insulation tape or heat shrink to wrap my wires not band-aids. I also had to throw out my flannel gloves when I couldn't wear holes in them.

The kit I installed is a high quality kit, it's the one alot of people have used from 95soarer on ebay. I mounted the ballasts on the inside of the bullbar, not on the alloy, but on the flat steel plates that run down towards the radiator. As far as I know the lights are wired directly into the high beam, off the standard Narva wiring harness. Haven't checked the earth on the stereo yet, but will pull it out on the weekend and have a look.

Hi docp1980,

My HID spotties do the same but only when the globes are warming up, once they reach temperature (about 20 seconds), the static fades away. It also only happens on AM stations. My kit had the newer slimline ballasts which I also mounted on the bullbar in the same spot as yours by the sound of it.

Good luck with it.

DJ

Latest posts

Back