Can't put scrub rails on Series 4 Stx

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefy

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to know if anyone has heard of this. I have the new series 4 stx dual cab with side impact airbags. I've been told by arb that its illegal to put scrub bars on it because the actuator for the airbags is in the front pillar.

Has anyone got one thats tried to do this and been told the same thing?

I reckon ARB would be right.

The bars could interfere with the airbag sensors.

Dave.

Rock sliders are also prohibited too for the same reason.

Yeah well i do have the side protection steps on it but they never said they were a problem. I'm gunna have to look into it a bit more its starting to worry me about insurance now.

Can we clarify if it is side steps(bolts to body) or Rock sliders (bolt to chassis).??

Sorry, didn't read the title properly, brush bars as in a steel pipe from the bullbar to sidestep/rock slider.

Last edited:
Can we clarify if it is side steps(bolts to body) or Rock sliders (bolt to chassis).??

Mine bolt onto the chassis not the body, arb call them "side protection steps" but they look the same as rock sliders.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and try and get some more info out of them.

I don't like them, I think they're more likley to get pressed/bent into the guard rather then protecting them. I had them on a cruiser, look good, handy to walk on when in deep bogs, otherwise fairly useless IMO. I think your better of with wider offset rims to keep the body off the walls in deep ruts etc.

I don't like them, I think they're more likley to get pressed/bent into the guard rather then protecting them. I had them on a cruiser, look good, handy to walk on when in deep bogs, otherwise fairly useless IMO. I think your better of with wider offset rims to keep the body off the walls in deep ruts etc.

Thanks for your opinion but thats not the issue. I just want to know if they're legal or illegal.

Who would be best to contact to find out for sure? The rta or someone else?

Thanks for your opinion but thats not the issue. I just want to know if they're legal or illegal.

Who would be best to contact to find out for sure? The rta or someone else?

Your local auto engineer would be your best bet.

Your local auto engineer would be your best bet.

Ok thanks, i'm still going to call arb in the morning and see what they have to say but i want a 2nd opinion to be sure of it. I'd be screwed if i had an accident and the insurance won't pay out because of it.

For anyone who's interested i'll update this post when i find out for sure about both the scrub rails and the steps that bolt onto the chassis.

Last edited:
Definitely not legal to have protection steps on a vehicle with side impact air bags.
The new 200# cruisers are an example they do side rails off the bullbar but they drop down infront of the front door and don't go any further along the sill. They look gay as aids imo

Something to do with affecting the airbags in a collision.

The only thing that I am not 100% on is if there is a difference between side impact and curtain airbags. Pretty sure the 200# would have both?

Had confirmation that my sidesteps have to come off and the original nissan ones will have to go back on. I was told arb are developing sidesteps that will be certified to work with the side airbags but have no idea how far away these are. For now i'm getting a refund on the steps.

Bugger but it doesn't matter as you D40 drivers are to scared to go bush because you always get stuck.lol

Lol, getting stuck doesn't scare me. Smashing the sides in coz there's nothing to protect it does though.

Yup unfortunately I knew that would be the case.

I got 3 different quotes before i got it, and the quotes for the arb gear were from 3 different places too. You would think that between arb and nissan someone would've been able to tell me this months ago when i was getting quotes for the stuff i wanted on it. It was something that didn't even cross my mind.

I spoke to the nissan salesman today he knew nothing of it. I spoke to his manager who also knew nothing about it. Then i called the service dept and the guy that answered the phone told me straight away that they were illegal.

Very interested in this topic...bout to order a set of ARB Protection steps for a series 4 D40I'll be asking our local ARB dealer tomorrow. No one has ever mentioned this before to me.

Very interested in this topic...bout to order a set of ARB Protection steps for a series 4 D40I'll be asking our local ARB dealer tomorrow. No one has ever mentioned this before to me.

Don't waste your time Off Roadie they can be fitted but are 100% illegal on a Series 4. Bugga!!

If you're getting an arb bullbar make sure ask for the one for a series 4. They have different front chassis mounts to other spanish built d40's. My ute sat in a workshop for 6 weeks because they cut the front bumper to fit the bullbar then found out they have different mounts. Same with the tjm underbody guards too the front one won't fit because the chassis is longer. I'm still waiting on that to be made.

Latest posts

Back