D40 spring loaded tailgate hinges?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctguru

Reaction score
anyone know if you can get spring loaded Tailgate Hinges for a 2010 STX? I know that they make them for a ssangyon actyon sports.

Just want to make it easier for the wife to lift the tailgate.

I don't think Nissan make them (could be wrong though) but I'd just go to a trailer joint or someone who spends time modifying tubs and trailers they should be able to point you towards something that's adaptable.

Saw a guy with a Nav a little while ago just mount a gas strut (same as what's on canopy windows) on one side of the tailgate similar to the EZ Down link, worked a treat.
It's actually my next little project, too heavy for the missus and kids.

it has to be a reverse acting strut compared to the normal type
it has to try to compress not extend. A few of us looked into this a few years ago and they are not easy to find. the other thing is our tailgate is all only single thickness steel so sone sort of reinforcing might be needed.
Something like this might work for us
dynamicimage.ashx

Was talking to a mate in the bodyshop this arvo who is eventually going to bend me up some stainless boxes for the tub and he reckons if his suppliers couldn't find one in their stocks that allowed for a slow easy upward movement he'd modify a gate hinge to do the job. It would mean replacing the current hinges but any body builder should be able to fashion up something to make it easy to close and still operate the same as Nissan intended.

I have had a look and if we can get the correct length reverse action strut then I think its actually an easy job. There is a hole in the side panel directly under the bottom mount for the tail lights so we could use that and then unbolt the bolt holding the stay cable , add a spacer and bolt the strut in. Like the pics above it would be almost horizontal in the open position and should be a direct bolt in job.
Just going to come down to if we can find the right length strut

I have sent an email to Stabilus Australia to find out if there is a strut that will work for us to slow the tailgate opening rate and make it easier to close the gate.
If we can get the correct length strut then i think it might be able to be done as a full bolt on job with only basic tools required.

You need a pair of Vacuum struts, do a google search, or try ebay.
You might even pick one up at your local car shop like repco or whatever you have local, they are a standard part for some 4wd and utes and you just need to find one with a similiar tailgate weight.

I know the Suzuki XL7 has this feature.

Latest posts

Back