wyperfeld national park trip report

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heata

Reaction score
Those who read my previous posts might know that this trip was planned to go all the way to the border track and cover a lot more Kms.

Anyhow we hired a campertrailer, and headed up through halls gap and the Grampians for a few days, then on to Wyperfeld Nat. Park. We made pretty good time and got to rainbow by lunchtime, and headed into the park, via Lake Albycutya. as per my carefully planned and researched trip plan...
The short story is that I couldn't find/recognise the turn off, and followed what I thought was the track... very quickly, I was driving down a slight slope into a very sandy basin. About this time I decide, this can't be the track, it must be back a bit. No problem, I'll just do a big wide turn and drive back. Mmm stuck, no problem air right down and drive out. Well with trailer at 11psi (hot) and car at 12psi hot, definately stuck. So disconnect the trailer, drive out, hand winch trailer up to car about 30 metres. Not too hard, but slow. Ok so now car and trailer are on drivable terain, do you think I can lift the draw bar???? Ok, remove spare wheel from trailer drawbar, and get family to sit on top of back of trailer, hook up and drive out.

We find our way (thanks to a local farmer!) and begin driving in to our planned campsite. Its really slow going, some really sandy spots, and lots of giant 'speed humps/dips' which with the trailer on really keep you below 20kph.
So at about 4.00pm I consult the map, and choose a new campsite. Which was round swamp campsite, we pull up at about 5pm, and spend the next 4 days there. We did plenty of days and afternoons, using this camp as a base.
To state the obvious, the distances up there are far greater than I anticipated, but a great trip. Beautifull sunny days in the low twenties, clear cold nights, plenty of firewood, and lots of wild life for the kids to see.
So the border track can wait until next trip

Attachments

• ready to go.jpg
    ready to go.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 71
  • grampians.jpg
    grampians.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 68
  • way in.jpg
    way in.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 77
  • locals.jpg