Steering wheel control for radio

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brmi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking at buying a steering wheel device to control the radio/cd player.

Would I be best to change the head unit with one that offers a steering wheel control unit, or buy a device that can work with the standard headunit?

Cheers, Brad

I have always thought about getting GU steering wheel control and somehow fitting them.

Dave.

How different is the hairdressers wheel to the tupperware girls wheel?

I'm fairly sure we decided a few months back that even the STX models that didn't have the stereo controls had the fittings and cabling for the stereo controls that came standard on the Thai utes so if the tupperware utes have a similar wheel going factory might not be a huge issue. The cabling may not be there but the ability could be already there.

I'd be scared to buy a factory wheel and replace what is there given Nissan claimed to me the steering wheel the replaced under warranty was $1200 but if the wheels are similar you might get the plastic surrounds and switches from Nissan.

Oh well get a real car :eviltongue:

Could always import one from the US still have the problem running the wires but haven't the US and UK d22's had the stereo and climate control extras for quite a few years?

Yeah I was talking to a wrecker in the Uk for a while but forgot to reply back to him.

Dave.

dont forget you cant just pull the steering wheel off and swap it if youve got an airbag....make sure you pull the fuse out first and disconect the battery

Yeah Id get my brother to do it as he has done them before as he is a panel beater.

Dave.

I have looked into it and you cant do it on the d22 non airbag.I bought a d40 wheel to do it but the wiring goes through the airbag wiring loom and the d22 didnt have it and are different from the d40.

So the best bet would be to replace the headunit, probably with a pioneer double din unit with a steering wheel remote control adapter.

I'm still waiting for someone to pull the D40 wheel apart and find out if Nissan left the wires there on an ST-X. I know some people say Nissan don't leave extra wires but I've found heaps of different wires in my ute that don't belong, I'm just too lazy to pull the wheel apart myself.

ok so i have a 2010 stx king cab - thai built. it does have cruise control on one side of the wheel but no stereo/phone controls on the other side. it seems to me as if you are saying that the wiring and such is already there for the vehicle control? does this mean i can just buy the steering wheel buttons and install them? i'd like to get it sorted for when i put the new gps / stereo in.

As far as I know no one has proven whether the STX has the same wiring loom as the Pathy. I would suggest that if any of them have it it would only be those made on the same production line as the Pathy which I believe rules the KC out. People have suggested that these days companies don't waste money putting in cabling they don't use like days gone by but I know in my STX there is extra cabling behind the A/C panel however i'm not pulling the steering wheel off just to check if there is extra wires there.

Latest posts

Back