Coffin Bay.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
I'm heading to Coffin bay in 4 weeks.:dancing:

I was hoping someone can offer some advice on the best camping areas.

Cheers.

Gee I wish I could but Coffin Bay is still on the on the to do list. Border Track this weekend.

Gee I wish I could but Coffin Bay is still on the on the to do list. Border Track this weekend.

And you guys were saying that my wife and I did a lot of travelling. Go Gus!

I saw something about Coffin Bay once and thought it might be nice to visit but it's way, way a long way away - I'll retire before I ever see it.

Post pics, post pics!

And you guys were saying that my wife and I did a lot of travelling. Go Gus!

I saw something about Coffin Bay once and thought it might be nice to visit but it's way, way a long way away - I'll retire before I ever see it.

Post pics, post pics!

Coffin Bay is a 'must do' Tony. Those in the know talk highly about it. The sand at the western end of the Nat park is very soft and challenging I understand.

As for me, you only live once and I want my kids to see Australia and having a capable hairdressers' car enables that to happen (given up on the hundy series as I have invested too much in the D40 - so more money being thrown at my mobile salon) :wink:

Gus

very nice place could live there tomorrow good 4wding good fishing great pub and oysters for $6 a dozen straight off boats what more can you ask 4. the sand is very soft in some places cant remember the beach but was near avoid bay you go down a steep hill to get on beach do not go right as very soft.
was spewing didnt have time for gunyah mate rekons that is unreal didnt camp so cant comment on that. will be going back myself next feb love it

Didn't go 4wding there but fishing (what we managed to do of it) at Coffin Bay was good, we stayed at Pt Lincoln on the way home from one of our Perth trips and we spent a week down around that area. Only thing that stops me going back is that these days it's too much of a detour on the Perth - Melb leg of the journey. We have considered just flying into Lincoln for the Snapper fishing but we're yet to find a plane that can tow the ute for the days not spent on the water.

Didn't go 4wding there but fishing (what we managed to do of it) at Coffin Bay was good, we stayed at Pt Lincoln on the way home from one of our Perth trips and we spent a week down around that area. Only thing that stops me going back is that these days it's too much of a detour on the Perth - Melb leg of the journey. We have considered just flying into Lincoln for the Snapper fishing but we're yet to find a plane that can tow the ute for the days not spent on the water.

I have a solution for you Krafty ... U fly, i'll drive and take D40 with Boat .... !!!

Anything for some decent SNAPPER ....

The problem with driving is that it's a bloody long trip from here. My neighbour got to Pt Wakefield in 14 hours towing a 24 foot van but I'm just not that bloody dedicated any more thats why I would consider flying. My uncle flys in and out atleast one a year and chases the snapper from Pt Lincoln. I'd love to do it again but I'm a lazy driver, I'd probably take two days to get there.

its about 1450 kms from my door step to coffin bay (somewhere) - about 17 hours driving, all according to whereis.com

just a comfortable day trip for me Krafty ... LOL

That would be nearly 2 tanks of fuel if i'm towing my boat - and i can comfortably sit on highway speeds using the Nav ... But if i drop to 90km/hr i can save a bucket load of fuel cost.

maybe i should think about it for the melbourne cup weekend ... get away from the TEE TREE slaughter in our bays.

I'm an hour or so from your place Woody so that would make an 18 hour day for me (not including getting up a bit earlier than you and the possible chinwag time before leaving). I'm not getting any younger son :eviltongue: Take 08KC with you he wants to visit and he's closer to you, I'd need a month to recover from a trip like that.

We'll be taking our time, stopping at the Grampians for a few days, Adelaide overnight, then Whayalla 2 days(for work), then on to Coffin Bay. Probably come home Via the Googs Track and maybe have a look around Flinders if there is enough time.

Now that I could handle.

10 hour days I could handle but 17 hour days with a boat is for young bucks like Woody

LOL ... i aint as young as you think ...

old enough to be enjoying mid-life crisis (which is i cant go fishing often enough), but not yet old enough to not be able to enjoy what i want to do.

but to be fair - i'd think twice b4 doing trips longer than 12 hrs per day these days. I used to drive 20 hrs brisbane to melbourne etc in my 20's, but i prefer to do that over 2 days now.

I broke my surf reel the other day so fishing is off for a little while but I know what you mean, the only difference is that i don't work as long hours as you seem too.

there is a good drive around the cliffs in elliston which is not far from coffin bay tumby bay is a nice little place aswell

there is a good drive around the cliffs in elliston which is not far from coffin bay tumby bay is a nice little place aswell

Can I camp on the beach anywhere? The National Park seems to only have designated camp sites.

seven mile beach is probably the best beach I have been to in SA, highly recomended. The really soft sand beach is Gunyah beach, I got severely bogged there by myself once!

Your'e right about the camping, they want you to camp in the camping spots which aren't right on the beach, but the one at the end of seven mile beach is fairly close to the water. Also, if you read the signs the greenies put up, they actually permit fires on the beach between high and low tide marks all year round, except on total fire ban days. Good fishing on seven mile beach, especially for whiting. There is a place near coffin bay itself where you can dive for scollops, but haven't found that place yet.

not sure on the camping but if you can get on the beach cant see why you cant camp there the rangers do come and check we didnt camp as a mate of mine was living there

Defiantly take your fishing gear,
I'm planning a trip up there this time next year, so ill be very interested in how you go,

A few days in Arno bay chasing the Reds and then down to Coffin Bay for the KGW.

Monster Snapper and Kidney Slapping Whiting is all i need for a dream holiday.

Look foward to seeing some pics.

The Pool at Point Sir Isaac is one great campsite if the wind is not howling in from the west.

Watch out for the snakes in the park.

Latest posts

Back