Running out of fuel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirstychippy

Reaction score
Backing up a driveway with say a bit a more than a quarter of tank of fuel , and the thing runs out of fuel and the fuel gauge goes down to bellow E,and the light comes on.....................oh the driveway is about a 13 degress pitch .....this cant be right the whole job site where having a good ol laugh.........

I've gone forwards up an incline like that - and I've had to reverse back down it. Didn't happen to me with the nose of the car higher than the tail.

We went down some steep inclines on the Howes Valley Trail in Yengo National Park, but I was idling all the way down.

The fuel tank is a long, narrow thing, but I suppose if it were wide, you'd have the same problem on a lean.

Similar thing happened to me once. From memory there was approx 1/8 of a tank left (by the gauge). It was peak hour and I did a quick U turn through a median. Half way thru the turn the Nav stopped and I coasted into the nearest side street. And restarted with no worries.

Backing my van up my driveway (nose of car below rear) got out to open gates etc. car stopped, Unhooked van pushed car onto flat roadside, primed the fuel filter and it started.
Immediately went to fuel station and fuelled up, took 72ltrs, so still had about 8 left when it "ran out". Vehicle is a D40 diesel Kingcab auto. Must have something to do with the fuel pickup position.

Same for me ... reversed up my driveway to hook the boat up, idling there for a few minutes while I hitched it up and it ran out of fuel. Had just under quarter of a tank left. Was fine after the car was off the incline... Mine would have had 15+ Litres when it ran out.

Yeah mine has done it too. First time was sitting on a steep hill in traffic 1/4 tank of fuel was sitting there for a while fuel light came on next minute it ran out of fuel. When the traffic moved I rolled onto the flat and after some cranking it fired up.
Second time was coming down Bell Bird hill on the Bells Line Road, once again 1/4 tank got stuck behind a slow truck fuel light came on and then it stopped. Rolled and rolled and rolled as far as I could, it would not fire up, so parked it, tried to start this time it wouldn't restart. Ended up having to walk to the servo.
I'm not going to get caught again......

If it does "run out of fuel" like that, you shouldn't just crank it over - once it's on more level ground, pop the bonnet and squeeze the primer bulb repeatedly until it is firm, and THEN crank it over.

The pump doesn't like air in it and it's not cheap.

From posts I have seen on another forum (Pathfinders) the R51 shares the issue. I have heard of peoples cars carking it coming out of multi level car parks. Roll to the bottom, prime it up and drive it to the servo was the basic fix! If they used a lift pump you could always fot a fuel surge tank so you would have a couple of liters of fuel to use up after the pickup in the main tank found air.

Latest posts

Back