245 75 r16

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'd just like confirmation that 245 75 tyres will fit on the stock ST-R rims? I can get hold of some near new KM2's off a mate.

Is anyone running this size and see positives and negatives with the "skinnys"

Cheers,
Guido

Yeah got 247/75R16 Cooper STT's on mine. Same height as stock 265/70R16 just 20mm narower. I think the 7 inch rim is the recomended width for 245/75R16's too.

narrower the tyre the less rubber contacting the road, so less grip. Some people believe narrow tyres go through the mud better, but I'm not totally sold on that one.

How would they go through the mud better? less grip and less surface area will make them sink deeper into the mud.

How would they go through the mud better? less grip and less surface area will make them sink deeper into the mud.

Sink through the mud to get traction on the hard base underneath, sounds plausible in the Vic High Country, but not sure how it would go on flooded Desert roads.

I am running 245/75R16 cooper st on my standard str rim no problems just a little narrower than the 265.

08KINGCAB said:
Sink through the mud to get traction on the hard base underneath, sounds plausible in the Vic High Country, but not sure how it would go on flooded Desert roads.

That used to be the theory with sand and the old narrow split rims. Problem is, under the soft sand on the top there is soft sand underneath and the soft top sand starts polishing your underside as you sink further and further into the sand. (or mud) I'll take 265s over 245s any day. More is more when tyres is concerned if you ask me.

Skinny tyres get a longer footprint when deflated and don't have to push as much soft sand out of the way when moving foward. Old trucks on split rims never had a problem off-road whith the tyres deflated. Not many manufactures make the 265/70R16 in LT construction and people have said going to taller 265/75R16 has a negative impact on performance so the 245 may be the closest tyre available in LT without going taller.

Interesting theory about the skinny tyres. I'm not too convinced, I'd go with 265-75-16s or 285's (33s)

I dont see how a thinner tyre would give a longer footprint, a taller tyre eg. 33s will give a longer footprint!

Would the 245 st maxx be better suited to general all round 4wding. I am looking at either a 245/75/r16 in the st maxx or a 255/70r16 in the stt. I am wondering how the muddies go when driving in sand.

Latest posts

Back