Engine and valvetrain problems in D40 Diesels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrome dome

Reaction score
Hi ,I was at my mechanics this morning picking up my daughters car and he showed me a navara d40 diesel that has huge problems because of valve train failure to the cost of around 10 to 12 thousand dollars . He also said that this is his 4th one in the last 2 months and that Nissan have 4 waiting to be fixed with the same problem , Including another 3 at other mechanic shops around town . Now this is Nowra on the south coast of NSW and a relatively small town and it has 11 navara d40 diesels to be repaired at huge costs to the owners . The cause as he explains it is lack of oil to the valve train and so far nearly all of them have been between 2006 and 2008 year models with between 60,000 kms to 100,000 kms . Has anyone heard of this ???? .

Last edited:
Cant say I have heard of it, anything is possible though.

Moved to the right section.

Dave.

How many D40 diesels could be in Nowra, in total? 30?

That's an extraordinary percentage. I'd be in panic mode if this wasn't the first I've heard of the problem.

There were issues with the piston crowns not being cooled properly but I thought that was rectified. I've not heard of any issues with valve train (upper head) lubrication failures.

Could it be due to a particular oil that was used? If it's regional, perhaps they were all serviced in the same area and had the same - and incorrect - oil used.

The D40 engine (like the D22's Common Rail 2.5L diesel) requires a fairly specific type of oil to be used.

With a local phenomenon like you've described, I'd be taking a serious look at who was servicing them, and what oil was being thrown in, because valve train lubrication issues just haven't been raised elsewhere that I've seen.

Hi ,I was at my mechanics this morning picking up my daughters car and he showed me a navara d40 diesel that has huge problems because of valve train failure to the cost of around 10 to 12 thousand dollars . He also said that this is his 4th one in the last 2 months and that Nissan have 4 waiting to be fixed with the same problem , Including another 3 at other mechanic shops around town . Now this is Nowra on the south coast of NSW and a relatively small town and it has 11 navara d40 diesels to be repaired at huge costs to the owners . The cause as he explains it is lack of oil to the valve train and so far nearly all of them have been between 2006 and 2008 year models with between 60,000 kms to 100,000 kms . Has anyone heard of this ???? .

It isn't Timing Chain failure instead by any chance?

Regards
Greg

Havent heard of anything here either, you would think if it were a massive problem as that we would have heard something.

how would valve train failure cost around 10 to 12 thousand dollars ???

i wonder if in fact they have lots of top end rattle, which sounds like valve train, but is faulty injector system. that can cost 10 grand. that is often caused by faulty fuel which can explain why they suddenly get a heap of them fail at once.

Thanks for moving to the right section , I had a brain fart ..... 4 of the navaras were serviced by Nissan the others not sure of and 2 by the local council . Most were lubrication issues with timing chain problems with a couple . This is a wide spread issue world wide because there is a 3 month waite at least for replacement heads and parts , Importers and Nissan can not get enough . The price of a replacement head is Between $9500 for an after market head or $10500 for a genuine ,This is what ive been told by my local mechanic that i have been going to for years . I am trying to find out more from a mechanic that i know from a big nissan work shop in sydney .

T This is a wide spread issue world wide because there is a 3 month waite at least for replacement heads and parts ,

You come in asking a question, then start stating "facts"? I'm a bit confused...

QDS say they know of n longevity problems with the engine, and are regularly servicing QD25's that are over 100k. My local Nissan have two used Pathfinders in stock with the k's and age you mention... surely they wouldn't resell them if they were a known time-bomb...

I think we still need to see more evidence of this actual problem.

As far as I was aware, the heads of the 2.5CR diesel were solid, and while a world-wide shortage on these could be blamed on a high demand (therefore short supply), they could also be blamed on a low demand as well. No company is going to go out and manufacture complex, expensive components as spares that will likely never be used.

If there is any real truth to such stories I think Tony's hit the nail on the head with his terminology that it's a localised problem. Simple mathematics will show that if 80% (and I am just using any figures here) of any one make of car sold in one town had problems then a percentage of the same cars in other towns would also have to be suffering. The figure could be higher or lower it wouldn't matter but it would have to be popping up in towns across the selling area.

The fact that so few people seem to have heard about it lead me to believe it's either an exaggerated figure, exaggerated problem, or one of those silly urban myths that just needed the right people to spread it. With the age and k's referred to above I'd say there is thousands of cars that should be effected if it's a common problem, there is probably even a dozen on this forum who own cars that fit those figures yet I don't remember seeing it mentioned before.

I never heard anything about poor lubrication on the YD25, there's been a few complaints of timing chains and tensioners getting noisy, hundreds of complaints about the injector rattle. But to be safe I might unscrew the oil cap and see how much oils getting squirted around at idle tonight.

Krafty .... I have seen these vehicles as of this afternoon its not a localised problem and im just trying to shed some light for my own benifit along the way and if i can help others to keep an eye on it or at least look for them selves BUT if you want to call people liers then it would be better if you kept your narrow minded opinions to your self .

Wooo there settle down Sonny I wasn't picking on you and I don't think I called anyone a liar (or lier if you prefer) BUT if you want to take it personally feel free.

I didn't even dispute the fact that you'd seen anything that may or may not have seen this, although with the way you've jumped up one does have to wonder if maybe there wasn't a little raw nerve there. But that's not my issue I've already invited you to take my comments personally and if the result is you getting a bit uptight so be it.

However what I did question was the frequency at which this is happening in a local area because such a frequency world wide (as you seem to infer in a later post) would not just make ripples it would make tidal waves in the automotive industry.

Take for a second the idea that 11 vehicles have had this happen in Nowra, now I understand Tony's figure of 40 Nav's in Nowra was only a guess but lets ramp that up and say there is 100 Nav's in Nowra. That makes it 1 in 10 Nav's brought in Nowra are effected (or 10% for those who can't work out percentages).

Now if Nissan had 10% of all their D40 Diesel Navara's from 2006 to 2008 having this problem world wide there would surely be someone else complaining about it, especially with the 60K -100K distances your quoting yet no one seems to have heard of it and that is what I find odd.

I'm not disputing the issue exists in some cars and I'm not even disputing that we may hear more of it but until we do hear more of it I don't mind sharing with the world my narrow minded opinion that it's possibly not an issue that is going to effect everyone.

I remember reading about 1 BT50 that smashed up its valvetrain but that was probably a 1 off.

Haven't heard of the D40's doing it.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back