front RH binding

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googs

Reaction score
G day all, I've had my 08 d22 for about 4 months now and have noticed a a clunk and binding noise eminating from the r/h front wheel. It has had two services(once as soon as a got it) and one just recently after moving up to Alice springs from Perth. The last service I got in Alice(40K major service) they said that everything looked allright and that the wheel bearings were re greased and inspected along with just about everything else. The problem persisted, I then returned and the workshop supervisor went for a drive with me and we experienced the same problem pulling out of the lot. Back it went and they found that the wheel bearing was loose. Now they only re adjusted it. My understanding of bearings is that if they are loose(which they have been for the last 10K/KM) then the damage has been done and they need replacing. I have just booked it back in with Nissan as the problem is still there and now i can feel it bind every rotation of the wheel as well. Has anyone else experienced similar probs? I can't believe after paying nearly $1000 and alerting them to the problem they still managed to miss this. I understand workshops can get real busy but this sort of crap really puts people off vehicle makes(F*&k one goat). Anyway thanks for the rant and hope you guys can help.
Still love my Nav but!!!!!!!!!

Yup .. sounds like the bearing is stuffed because it wasn't done properly the first time.

personally, i dont bother repacking bearings (even on my boat). I just buy new ones every year (it not expensive for the boat) pack them properly, and forget about it until next year.

I've never touched the bearing on my cars until i start hearing any noise. But i've never taken my cars through water crossings on a regular basis like i am now doing with the NAV. So i might start insisting that the bearings are replaced on NAV every year now too.

Haven't had the prob on my 08 D22.

Do they have to be replaced as a pair? ie. both front wheels?

Haven't had the prob on my 08 D22.

Do they have to be replaced as a pair? ie. both front wheels?
Jason

they probably dont - but for the cost of bearings, i would do both sides at the same time. Gives ya a peace of mind (if there done properly that is)

Cheers for that Woody, I reckon i'll try get them to replace both. I did have a mate back in Perth with the same year vehicle and he experienced the same problem but that is the only other similar problem i've heard of. Generally i'm stoked with the truck. Very capable off-road and no unnecessary fancy stuff that could break out bush. Regardless of this little drama i'm still a big fan!
Googs

I just dropped the car off to Nissan again and I quizzed them about why they didn't just replace the wheel bearing before. They told me that due to the wheel bearings coming loose every 5000km they just tighten them up again. Are they taking the piss? I wouldn't have thought that this would be acceptable. Let me know what you guys think before I unload on horrible mister service tech.:devil:

Hold on, wheel bearings don't come loose. They have a split pin inserted through the nut to ensure that this cannot happen.

Someone's found your chain and they're having a nice wank.

Right, cheers for that Tony. It certainly didn't sound right at all. I can't stand F*%k wits talking smack like that just to cover there arse. Don't they think people are going to check wild statements like that. Thanks again. It's great to have somewhere to get good solid advice from people who have a whole lot more technical ability and experience than the D-graders at the service department.

The service manual clearly shows the split pin on the "wheel bearing lock nut".

Wasn't hugely clever of me. I just looked it up.

Well, it's also been something I've found on every car wheel I've EVER dealt with - bearing, washer, lock nut with split pin and a cap over it.

Absolute shame on that service department. Do you have an alternative to go to?

Bearings coming loose. Lol.

You shouldn't have to touch them until every 40,000kms and regrease them.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back