D40 Series 4 suspension advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnorris

Reaction score
Hi,
Have done 5000 km in my new S4 STX and disappointed with ride. Seems quite 'thumpy' esp in rear and makes ride rather uncomfortable. Went from Brisbane to Roma and back this week and didnt enjoy the trip at all. Very happy with vehicle otherwise. Have played with tyre pressures, a little weight in back and still not right. I appreciate it is a 4WD and will ride more firmly than a sedan. Do you think going up to 17" wheels has made a difference? Are the standard shocks not up to scratch? I have been recommended old man emu modification at $2100 to improve ride, handling and height. I dont mind spending this if it really does improve things, and does not affect warranty. Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance.
Chris

For my 2009 model, the weight of about 4 bags of cement is enough to settle her nicely. Try it and see how she feels.

It also felt okay with 20 bags of chicken manure in the back. Sorta glad there was a separation of cabin to cargo area on that run, I tell ya, but the canopy windows had to stay open for 2 days afterwards. Eggs might be bloody nice and roast chook delicious, but I'm glad I don't have to raise them myself.

Hi and welcome,
I like to describe the ride of the ST-X as jiggly myself, but I know what you are saying. I intend on replacing my suspension, which I am assured will make the issue go away. If you don't want to lift the vehicle, then I wouldn't go for the OME kit however. Give Aussie Super Springs a call and see if you have a local distributor, get a comfort spring insert and think about replacing the shocks all around with something decent.

Aftermarket set up suspension will help, if you think a D40 is uncomfortable you wouldn't wanna get in a D22 or D21.

Dave.

You'll find nearly all the aftermarket springs are heavier and higher.
I personally thought the standard spring rates were pretty good, a set of quality shocks may be all that is needed to improve the ride.

Aftermarket set up suspension will help, if you think a D40 is uncomfortable you wouldn't wanna get in a D22 or D21.

Dave.

Welcome to the forum ...

Dave is right, not only would the D22 be uncomfortable, you'd also be cramped ...

GO THE D40 !!!

(dave, i've just had Krafty here ... we've talked alot about you ... LOL)

Did use also discuss hair styling tips since use both drive D40's. Lol.

Has he gone ?

Throw up the goss.

Dave.

It's all about the hair styling, those who can, do it, those who can't, talk about it.

Yes he has gone Dave :eviltongue:

I left Woody at 4pm and just got home at 8pm, a total of 120ks, sheeesh I dunno how you young bucks drive so far so quickly.

As for goss I remember talking about your green mohawk and how upset you were at first but how you began liking it more after I shaved your back. Anything else we spoke about has slipped my memory because I had to concentrate too much on the drive home.

Last edited by a moderator:
mate i have done quite a few D40s in brisbane & have had no complaints
Compare my price @ $1650 fitted
Cheers

Last edited:
It's all about the hair styling, those who can, do it, those who can't, talk about it.

Yes he has gone Dave :eviltonuge:

I left Woody at 4pm and just got home at 8pm, a total of 120ks, sheeesh I dunno how you young bucks drive so far so quickly.

As for goss I remember talking about your green mohawk and how upset you were at first but how you began liking it more after I shaved your back. Anything else we spoke about has slipped my memory because I had to concentrate too much on the drive home.

Eye's fading hey ?

4 hours for 120km's. Man you drive slow, speed up.

Dave.

Hi,
Have done 5000 km in my new S4 STX and disappointed with ride. Seems quite 'thumpy' esp in rear and makes ride rather uncomfortable. Went from Brisbane to Roma and back this week and didnt enjoy the trip at all. Very happy with vehicle otherwise. Have played with tyre pressures, a little weight in back and still not right. I appreciate it is a 4WD and will ride more firmly than a sedan. Do you think going up to 17" wheels has made a difference? Are the standard shocks not up to scratch? I have been recommended old man emu modification at $2100 to improve ride, handling and height. I dont mind spending this if it really does improve things, and does not affect warranty. Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance.
Chris

Chris, any mod you do to the suspension which involves substituting OEM parts will affect your warranty.
If you plan to go Old Man Emu you need to realise that you are paying a premium for a brand name. There are only so many suspension parts manufacturers and components just get rebranded, so as far as ARB and TJM parts are concerned your paying for the sticker.

Zordo has done quite a few suspension upgrades for forum members with, so it seems, no complaints.
I am on the southside and am just about to engage Driveline Services for my lift for two reasons. 1. They are close to where I live and 2. They are the manufacturers of Durashock shock absorders (These are rebranded by TJM and other suspension outlets).
We are fitting Lovell springs with Durashocks for $1700, and depending on camber issues, if needed they manufacture and fit offset LCA balljoints for an extra $300. The rear springs will be reset and another leaf added.

There are many suspension places out there and every person has their own idea as to what they want fitted and what suits them. Talk to as many suspension places as you can and you will soon realise who is worthy of your custom and who are just trying to make a sale.

This is just my opinion. Others will agree OR disagree it is their right. :sheep:

Eye's fading hey ?

4 hours for 120km's. Man you drive slow, speed up.

Dave.

Everything fades when you get a certain age Dave, don't worry one day it will happen to you too.

Getting their first isn't always the best way speed racer :eviltongue:

The sad thing is you actually believed it enough to comment...sheesh 120ks in 4 hours is only 30 kph, I'd want a lot better than 10lph if I was only doing 30kph everywhere.

Zordo has done quite a few suspension upgrades for forum members with, so it seems, no complaints.
I am on the southside and am just about to engage Driveline Services for my lift for two reasons. 1. They are close to where I live and 2. They are the manufacturers of Durashock shock absorders (These are rebranded by TJM and other suspension outlets).
We are fitting Lovell springs with Durashocks for $1700, and depending on camber issues, if needed they manufacture and fit offset LCA balljoints for an extra $300. The rear springs will be reset and another leaf added.

I have also used Durashock on D40 & they work well.
Hey Red dog you are having your leaves reset + one leaf.
My price is for new leaves, u/bolts, bush kit, greaseable shackles, 4 shocks & new coils
Cheers

Last edited:
I test drove a new ST-X a couple of weeks ago and I thought it rode quite well. It is obviously not a sedan ride wise but it is vastly softer than my D22. It actually had more compliance than the holden Captiva (Captive?) that I drive for work. My only gripe about the ST-X ride wise was an odd feeling from both ends over small bumps, not even a jiggle really, more like a quiver. I suspect that the dealer had set the tyre pressures too high.

It actually felt like the work Captiva did when I took delivery of it, it had much the same sort of quiver and when I checked the tyre pressures (Recommended 30psi or something and I run 36) it had four different pressures ranging from 48 to 56psi. Dropping them to something more sensable settled the quiver down but it still feels like it is riding on the bump stops.

Hi all
I had my D40 dual cab suspension done by Zordos and my brief to him was that I wanted good ride not hash and that it need to tow my caravan and not sag too far. Well I have tested it in both areas and found that he delivered exactly what it was after great ride and handle very well it also tows the van perfectly and at the price he gave in the above post. He used medium duty EFS gear. I live on the south-east side (bay side) and it was well and truly worth the trip.

Back