Series 1 D22 Rated Towing Capacity

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archroach

Reaction score
Hi all! Hey does anybody happen to know the official rated tow capacity of the Series 1 D22 Fourbie? I just can't find a reference to it anywhere. Cheers, Rog!

Thanks Dion! I've managed to locate an original Nissan promo.pdf on the range, and it lists the bog standard rating as just under 2.0t

Whilst I'm posting back to you here, can I ask you a few other questions?

Can you tell me much about squeezing more from my QD32 without going Turbo? Perhaps exhaust? Right now, I'm running a deisel/gas system & have headers and 2.5" 'HiFlo' exhaust arrangement.

I'm also battling horrible 'Yawing resonant noise' when applying power under 2000 rpm. After that, its not too bad. Is there something to this? Interestingly, that 'Yawning' was evident after the gas system went on in 06, and didn't get any worse when the headers went on!

And do you know if the standard atmo donk can safely be turbocharged?

Given that I eventually go for some forced air induction, I've also wondered about the suitability/availability of superchargers. Particularly aft watching a spot story on Sprintex in a recent 4WD Monthly DVD. Seems a great idea!!

A penny for your thoughts!!!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Dion! I've managed to locate an original Nissan promo.pdf on the range, and it lists the bog standard rating as just under 2.0t

Whilst I'm posting back to you here, can I ask you a few other questions?

No worries for the link, be aware that it contains some minor errors but for a quick-glance-reference, it can't be beat.

Can you tell me much about squeezing more from my QD32 without going Turbo? Perhaps exhaust? Right now, I'm running a deisel/gas system & have headers and 2.5" 'HiFlo' exhaust arrangement.

Options are limited, diesels should never roll off the factory floor without a turbo hanging off the side. Basically you can fit the air box and air filter from a larger vehicle to get more filtration area and reduce the pressure drop across the filtration system, get your exhaust more free flowing (as you have), a mild improvement in power from diesel-gas (diesel gas is much more effective in a turbo), and that's about it.

I'm also battling horrible 'Yawing resonant noise' when applying power under 2000 rpm. After that, its not too bad. Is there something to this? Interestingly, that 'Yawning' was evident after the gas system went on in 06, and didn't get any worse when the headers went on!

I can't say I really know what you mean by a yawning noise, maybe try to record it and post it up here?

And do you know if the standard atmo donk can safely be turbocharged?

Sure can. QD32 and QD32T (factory turbo motor) have the same internals.

Given that I eventually go for some forced air induction, I've also wondered about the suitability/availability of superchargers. Particularly aft watching a spot story on Sprintex in a recent 4WD Monthly DVD. Seems a great idea!

There's not really any reason why not, there's no kits or anything though. You'll be out on your own. It's usually $5000+ for a custom kit.

Good stuff Dion! I appreciate your help mate! I may just look at a mild Turbo boosting then... Not sure if the standard QD32 was built as an atmo Donk, but for a limited few that Nissan fitted aft market kits to... or they perhaps all were built with the Turbo option as a suitable option? Maybe that's why the QD32 is widely rated as a strong motor??

The Yawing can best be described as the noise that used to come from the old Holden HQ 202 in std form when fitted with extractors... simply horrid noise & no real xtra power!!

I'm curious to stay with the old stick & crank all that I can out of her... she's in such good nick, and meets all of my needs! I'll keep you posted!!

Cheers,

Rog

The QD32 and theTD series engines love a snail hanging off the side of them.

Dave.

Good stuff Dion! I appreciate your help mate!

Any time Roger.

I may just look at a mild Turbo boosting then... Not sure if the standard QD32 was built as an atmo Donk, but for a limited few that Nissan fitted aft market kits to... or they perhaps all were built with the Turbo option as a suitable option? Maybe that's why the QD32 is widely rated as a strong motor??

Nissan designed the QD32 as a high compression NA engine with the capability for mild boost turbocharging (ZD30/YD25: lower compression, higher boost). There are many factory QD32T motors (QD32ETi - electronically controlled, turbocharged, intercooled) but they're living in Japan, every so often one gets imported. The last one I saw for sale, the importer knew how to wield a price tag printer with the best of them.

The QD32 is a strong motor because it's the last in the line of Nissan indirect mechanical injection motors designed by UD, with the largest four cylinder capacity outside of the FD series, that shares platform with the TD42. It's a true light truck motor.

The majority of the QD32 turbo engines you see in Australia are aftermarket, made by AXT or similar.

If you're interested in turbocharging, the best route is to put together a kit yourself. Aftermarket turbo manifolds are available. The TD27T Nissan-made manifold is sometimes available and bolts up to the QD32 with some longer genuine studs from Nissan. Exhaust would have to be modified, and the pump retuned, depending on how much of the work you are capable of doing yourself, you can get away with it for less than $2000.

The Yawing can best be described as the noise that used to come from the old Holden HQ 202 in std form when fitted with extractors... simply horrid noise & no real xtra power!!

I'm curious to stay with the old stick & crank all that I can out of her... she's in such good nick, and meets all of my needs! I'll keep you posted!!

I can't say it's a problem I've heard of before, my QD32 sounds fine through that rev range, but I haven't got extractors or diesel-gas.

Hmmm... OK, all good Dion! I did wonder about the QD32T and whether forced air induction was wise or not. When I was looking for a SH Tub back in July, I spotted a Series 1 'Repairable Wreck' on the Gold Coast that was badged as a '3.2 D - Turbo' and since then have simply had to know!

I love what my current mods have achieved, but its frustrating when you only get real power from 3k to 4k, and then a severe fall off!!

The other doubt in relation to Turbo, is the mileage. Mine's now around 260k... but has been regularly serviced every 5k since I acquired in 04. For a well built & well serviced Atmo donk, me thinks that's probably not too bad.

I don't know the basis of the Exhaust 'Yaw' though, but suspect its to do with the harmonics of Exhaust length/width & pot size. I'll have to do some more careful experimentation!!

Cheers,

Roger

The other doubt in relation to Turbo, is the mileage. Mine's now around 260k... but has been regularly serviced every 5k since I acquired in 04. For a well built & well serviced Atmo donk, me thinks that's probably not too bad.

That's not too bad at all. If you don't go crazy with the boost, it won't be an issue. I'm about to turbo and intercool a QD32 with 330,000km on it. I look at it this way - it's the ultimate small truck motor IMO, so I don't mind shelling out for a rebuild on it, it's worth it. That viewpoint is not for everyone.

I don't know the basis of the Exhaust 'Yaw' though, but suspect its to do with the harmonics of Exhaust length/width & pot size. I'll have to do some more careful experimentation!!

I'm interested to hear the results.

What Dion said, the TD and the QD are designed by Nissan Diesel not Nissan Motors.

Volvo owns Nissan Diesel now, they have lots and lots of money.

Bring back the UD motors.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back