Rear end wobble

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Dog

Reaction score
Driving down the highway around 90kmh my vehicle starts to vibrate in the rear until i accelerate to about 100kmh. after about 10km or so the vibration stops. Has anyone else experienced this.

Before you say the obvious, over time I have been able to safely say it is not the road surface that is the cause, it is definatley the vehicle.
(Makes it hard to cut hair with the clients head bopping from side to side:big_smile:)

PS: At the time this is happening I don't have any weight in the tub.

Driving down the highway around 90kmh my vehicle starts to vibrate in the rear until i accelerate to about 100kmh. after about 10km or so the vibration stops. Has anyone else experienced this.

Before you say the obvious, over time I have been able to safely say it is not the road surface that is the cause, it is definatley the vehicle.
(Makes it hard to cut hair with the clients head bopping from side to side:big_smile:)

PS: At the time this is happening I don't have any weight in the tub.

Number one culprit: Out of balance tyres. Some tyres have a dynamic inbalance that can't be counterweighted out. Rotate tyres, retest, see if wobble has moved to the front.

The first thing I'd check is wheels & wheel bearings. I'd look at the rear leafs and make sure they were securely mounted.

If the wobble is violent, it's unlikely to be the rear propeller shaft, but it might be worth getting under and giving it a shake and seeing if it rattles a bit - pay attention to the uni joints.

Jack the rear completely off the ground, placing it on jack stands with the front wheels securely chocked. Take the handbrake off and place the car in neutral. Do the wheels turn over absolutely freely? Place the tip of a large screwdriver against the diff housing and put your ear against the handle. Turn over the wheels. Is there any grinding sound coming from inside the diff, or does it just sound like gears meshing in clean oil (no crunches etc)?

While it's off the ground, check axle end-play. Can you pull the wheel out and push it back in by grasping the wheel with both hands sitting beside the car? Check the other one too, the wheel bearings might be loose or worn.

Did your car get a recall for the rear axle? Some 2006 models were recalled as per this page. Also check this page for another axle recall and this page for the rear axle bearings. They do list VINs on these pages - take a look.

Found the cause of the rear end wobble.

It is one of my Dunlop AT20 s that have an imbalance. Got my mechanic to spend some time balancing it and now it's all good.

Latest posts

Back