Advice on installing GME TX 3200

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey fellow D22ers.
picked up a bargain tx3200 and gme aerial off eBay, now to install it!
Was thinking about putting it in the empty dash bit, have done some research, looks like most people move the stereo to the top. Anyone tell me if they've left the stereo where it is and if it's annoying?
Also was thinking about wiring it direct to battery. Anyone offer any advice here?
I've got an alloy bullbar so will get a mount to attach aerial.
Gonna upgrade my whip to an rfi cd900 from the little wire coat hanger looking one on there at the moment. I'll let you know how I go.
How goods this website by the way, it's better than any owners manual could ever be!!!
Any other advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Hey fellow D22ers.
picked up a bargain tx3200 and gme aerial off eBay, now to install it!
Was thinking about putting it in the empty dash bit, have done some research, looks like most people move the stereo to the top. Anyone tell me if they've left the stereo where it is and if it's annoying?
Also was thinking about wiring it direct to battery. Anyone offer any advice here?
I've got an alloy bullbar so will get a mount to attach aerial.
Gonna upgrade my whip to an rfi cd900 from the little wire coat hanger looking one on there at the moment. I'll let you know how I go.
How goods this website by the way, it's better than any owners manual could ever be!!!
Any other advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers

http://www.navara.asia/d22-accessories/317-2008-d22-stereo-removal-uhf-install.html

I'd suggest wiring it to your acc/ign power not direct to bat. the chances of leaving it on over night is very likely.

:rock:

http://www.navara.asia/d22-accessories/317-2008-d22-stereo-removal-uhf-install.html

I'd suggest wiring it to your acc/ign power not direct to bat. the chances of leaving it on over night is very likely.

:rock:

Mate, is it much harder to do it that way? I'm a bit of an amateur. I also thought night be good straight from battery as incase if emergency or other reason if keys aren't with vehicle, you know camping or whatever you can still use the radio. My next project will be dual batteries which might give me a bit of a lifeline should I leave it on.
Hopefully someone can tell me if it's harder to do and that will decide for me!
Thanks for the input!

Normaly the radio's (audio) are nissan fitted in the top bay.
I put my UHF in the bottom bay so i would'nt have the mic cable dangling over the audio unit.
I always get power straight from an unswitched source.
Your choice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Krankin (it happens occasionally), power straight from the source. I've even gone as far as setting up mine straight from the aux battery in this vehicle. Atleast with it connected straight to either battery you know you can always use it as long as the battery has voltage, where as going through the ignition can result in problems if the vehicle has an electrical fault.

As far as leaving it on over night I'd consider it a minor inconvenience rather than a problem. A CB is not likely to flatten a decent battery overnight if just left turned on, I used to forget to turn mine off all the time in my old Datsun and the battery in that was a lot smaller than the Nav's battery.

I agree with Krankin (it happens occasionally), power straight from the source. I've even gone as far as setting up mine straight from the aux battery in this vehicle. Atleast with it connected straight to either battery you know you can always use it as long as the battery has voltage, where as going through the ignition can result in problems if the vehicle has an electrical fault.

As far as leaving it on over night I'd consider it a minor inconvenience rather than a problem. A CB is not likely to flatten a decent battery overnight if just left turned on, I used to forget to turn mine off all the time in my old Datsun and the battery in that was a lot smaller than the Nav's battery.

Yeah reckon I'll go straight to battery. I'll check it out but reckon i'lll just leave the stereo in the lower one as the
Mic is on the cd control side and I'm gettin an fm transmitter for my iPhone so won't need to listen to cd's.

Now, the UHF has a fuse off the back if the powercable, is that the only one I'll need?
Thanks for the advice fellas!

Hey guys, just to follow up thought I'd let you know got it in with no probs. Hardest part was wiring up the adaptor on the coax.
Was surprised how smooth it went!
Now for some spotties!
Thanks for the advice guys.

Hey guys, just to follow up thought I'd let you know got it in with no probs. Hardest part was wiring up the adaptor on the coax.
Was surprised how smooth it went!
Now for some spotties!
Thanks for the advice guys.

Just before you put the dash fascia back on, if you havent done it allready,
i strongly recommend you check the SWR, as a bad SWR wrecks a radio quickly as well as it not performing properly.

Jim.

Just before you put the dash fascia back on, if you havent done it allready,
i strongly recommend you check the SWR, as a bad SWR wrecks a radio quickly as well as it not performing properly.

Jim.
Ah yes, of course the SWR, wha's that? Pease dont make me take it off again!!!!! Everything working well, got a radio check off a tricky around 20k's away and there's no interference sounds from the engine?!
Let us know what it is, I'm curious!
Cheers again for all the advice.

Ah yes, of course the SWR, wha's that? Pease dont make me take it off again!!!!! Everything working well, got a radio check off a tricky around 20k's away and there's no interference sounds from the engine?!
Let us know what it is, I'm curious!
Cheers again for all the advice.

'Standing Wave Ratio'..... technical mathmatical wizardry

You need a SWR/Power meter to do this.

it may well seem it works ok, but if the SWR is too high it will do damage,
how quick?.. depends how far out it is.
yes you need to get to the rear of the radio to do this test.

your choice.
:cheers!:

Yeah cool, I can still get to the radio, I installed so u can still get to the back of it.
Where and how much for one of these meters??
Would an auto elec do it for ya?
Cheers

While the theory behind what Krankin is saying is right I myself wouldn't be overly worried about buying a meter just to test one radio. I've installed dozens of CB's over the years and never used one and I've never had any issues with premature CB death. I'd also throw up a guess that there isn't too many people here who have installed their own units that have used any such meters either.

An auto elec may do it for you but a communications type place would definitely do it if your really worried about such things, who knows what they'd charge but for the one off time you're likely to use it with this install I wouldn't even consider buying a cheap one.

While the theory behind what Krankin is saying is right I myself wouldn't be overly worried about buying a meter just to test one radio. I've installed dozens of CB's over the years and never used one and I've never had any issues with premature CB death. I'd also throw up a guess that there isn't too many people here who have installed their own units that have used any such meters either.

An auto elec may do it for you but a communications type place would definitely do it if your really worried about such things, who knows what they'd charge but for the one off time you're likely to use it with this install I wouldn't even consider buying a cheap one.

Yeah cheers Krafty. I share the same thoughts as you, I'll take my chances, pretty happy with how it went in actually.
Now just gotta get that bloody canopy window replaced!

Latest posts

Back