VNOG - Wet Tooangi trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
I managed to catch up with ScottyBobcat yesterday, together with our wife's and 1 kid each ...

It started out as a glorious day (damm, where was that rain that was supposed to be around).

We met at Healesville and commenced our day at 9am from the local Tourist centre, with Scott and I getting the local Rooftops map for the area. I'm not going to bore you with all the trips specifics and which tracks we went on - but i'll give you an indication only.

We took off for Toolangi initially, but not on the main road - Scott new of some dirt roads to the west of the main road, so thats the initial route we took. All of the side tracks that Scotty wanted to show me where closed, so it did not take too long to get to Toolani. Went to the local pub and got fresh coffees for the adults, and toilet stop for the kids. (oh, and some of the adults too).

Took of in a south east direction and did not take long for Scott to find that track that stuffed his back up - but this time we were safe doing it on 4 wheels, instead of his previous attempt at 2 wheels.

Well, a very nice track indeed. Had some steep sections. Had some wet sections. Had some boggy sections. Scott managed to get his high powered D22 stuck a couple of times. He had to winch himself out of trouble the first time. I had the wonderful priviledge to drag him out the second time (go the D40's ... lol)

here are some piccy's that my wife took.
(later on, Scotty and i will post up some video's taken as well)

Scott upfront leading the way:

IMG_0231.jpg

a different perspective - this is JUSt before he got stuck the first time ...
IMG_0232.jpg

We got to the top of the track, and decided to head back down and have picnic lunch at the bottom of the track - the dirty cars:
Scotty:
IMG_0236.jpg

David (WoodyD40)
IMG_0235.jpg

and the kids sitting under the cover - it started to rain whilst we were having lunch.
IMG_0237.jpg

Here is one of the videos that my wife took - this is scotty, and i think you can here the wee little donk of his purring in the mud ...

CLICK ON IMAGE TO PLAY VIDEO: (this will take you to PHOTOBUCKET, and you may need to wait a moment for the video to start to load and play)

Last edited:
And the next video ... i was parked next to the camera, i should have turned my car off - as you can here my donk idling instead of Scotty's donk purring ...

I have excellent footage of Scotty getting Stuck in the mud hole ... its just over 5 minutes and shows the WHOLE thing very nicely, including recovery of a D22 by a D40 (thats the way it should be too)

Last edited:
Great pics, I couldn't get the video to work, it just links to the photos again, maybe I'm missing something.

Great pics, I couldn't get the video to work, it just links to the photos again, maybe I'm missing something.

heata, i've just edited the post above and added the following

(this will take you to PHOTOBUCKET, and you may need to wait a moment for the video to start to load and play)

Ive just tested it from another computer, and it took about 20 seconds to start playing ... hope this helps.

Looks like a good day, I have never been up there. Can't wait to get out and onto some tracks, just having some minor (read, Major) electrical issues at the moment.

What a pissa,considering you set me up you prick and told me it was only about 500mm deep.lol

LOL

and you 'believed' that i pushed the stick ALL the way to the bottom?

At least i had the decency to drag the D22 out the hole !!

It really is a pity that it was just the two of us. That was just one absolutely fantastic track. We had another attempt at the track after lunch - mind you it had now finally been raining.

Scotty took of first as leader - we managed to pick up a few more strangers (oh, and doco joined us as well) for the second attemp up the track. Scott being in the lead hit the first slopes with vigour, and got stuck half way up. When i finally caught up to the vehicles ahead (i was tail end charlie), i tried to walk up the track to see how badly he was stuck. I nearly got to him before i ended up on hands and knees sliding back down the slope 3 or 4 meters - thats how slipery the track was. No wonder Scott was stuck.

In the mean time, i arranged for ALL the vehicles to start doing U turns and getting back down the track, it was just too slipery to try anything further. Scott's winch packed it in - which meant i had the only working winch left. I had to work my way past the other 4 between me and scott so i could try to help him.

All the other cars vacated, when i hear over the radio that scott was now nearly at the top. Dont know how he did it, but i believe bloody minded persistance and that grunty V8 of his had something to do with it.

So i too did a U turn and got out of his way. With all the other cars down the bottom, and a clear track, Scott managed to turn around too and started sliding his way down the hill.

Good Job Scotty.

The best thing that I have recently bought for the Nav were those bloody rock sliders.
They did an awesome job coming back down the hill as I'm telling my wife and daughter and Woodys son Sam to hold on because we are going to bouncing off the dirt walls all the way down in which we did and not a scratch on the Nav.If I ddnt have them on there would have been a hell of a lot of panel damage.

Back