cruise control has a mind of it's own ??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justo

Reaction score
As the title says my cruise control seems to have a mind of it's own and only works sometimes, eg: if i select cruise then set it it may or may not work, if it does thats all good until i have to slow down, then if i go to set it again once up to speed again it may or not work, other days it will work no problems, there is no pattern to when it plays up so i have no idea what it could be. It is realy frustrating because very time i go to Nissan it seems to work so they can't bring up any fault codes, so my question is has anyone else had this problem and if so any ideas what it could be?

thanks Justin

is it factory cruise control, or after market ?

My local dealer fitted after market cruise control - and i've already had the brain box replaced twice under warrantee ...

last time it went in, the cruise control bloke said nuthin wrong with the unit, that there was a fault in the brake lights (fuse kept blowing) and he could not test it until that was fixed.
So i got called accross the road to the dealer to fix the brake light issue, due to extra lights i'd fitted (so i cut a cable) replaced the fuse and the fuse worked.
Cruise control bloke was called back and abused that the cruise control was a dud - replaced the brain, and now all working.

If you got factory cruise control - forget all i just wrote, 'cause it wont help you. (but it helped me 'cause i got a chance to get it off my chest).

This also doesn't help but my Audi had exactly the same problem. I sold it without ever solving the problem.

So it might be a dirty switch or something.

My "Set/Resume" switch is harder to move than when it was new.

I do not believe it is making electrical contact every time I move it. I was thinking I'd pop it out and give it a clean, but I am now thinking that next time it's in for a service, I'll tell them that it's sticky and needs replacing so they can do it.

It could be like the plastic finish inside the cabin - they've improved it and the newer stuff is better. I'm going to run with that idea in my head anyway, right or wrong. If the new one stuffs up THEN it'll get ripped open and cleaned.

Auto or manual? Check the adjustments on the brake and clutch switches and make sure they are fully compressed when pedals are up. (hope that makes sense).

I am a new member so forgive me if this is covered in another thread as i can not find anything. Does anyone know how easy it is to fit factory cruise to a D40. I can get the steering wheel contriols and unit out of thailand on ebay for around $320 delivered. I am not sure if i just need to clip it to the harness on the steering wheel or wether i will have to install other componants, Can anyone help.

Welcome to the forum, belly. Cruise control is only missing from the RX model D40 (2009 range). Some of the STXs are Thai builds and they have cruise control, so there's a good chance that the wiring loom is actually intact for that. There's a plug inside the steering wheel that carries the air bag, cruise control and stereo controls - pop your air bag out and make sure there are plenty of wires in that. If not, you might be up for the loom or even more.

There's a small hole under the steering wheel. A flat-bladed screwdriver pushed upwards through that hole (90degrees to the axis of the steering column) will release the bag.

Tony all the ST-X are Spanish built and will have the cruise control. the only units that it may work on the is Rx or Dx model which ever was build in Spain with the ST-X with the Gen I and Gen II D40.Once the Thai trucks started coming into Aus I think only the ST-X D40 and maybe some of the R51 were built in Spain.
Belly it will depend on what model truck you have as to what parts fit. Honestly I dont know if steering wheel controls from Thailand will fit a Spanish built d40 and vice verca

Hello Navara fans just new to the forum, wondering if anyone knows if the cruise control belly760 had purchased will fit straight into my 2007 RX model.

I find I have issues with my cruise control. If I push the button up when I set it, it will continue to speed up. If I push down when I set it, it holds fine. Mine is a 2006 stx diesel

john

Sorry Guys here is an update. I was thinking i would get an email if there were replys to my forum question. I will check it regulary from now on.

I bought the controls off ebay. $320 After some delideration the supplier (based in Thailand) assured me all i needed was the switches for the steering wheel. Which he suuplied and also the brake and clutch switches.

I spoke to our local nissan dealer who didnt have any experience in cruise. They told me a D40 couldnt even get factory cruise. They only just got the nissan dealership and i think there knoledge was limited. They were only going off what the screen told them. They didnt have any experience. I had had previous dealings with them that also pushed me away.

I took it to my local auto electrician who had experience in installing cruise control units. He suggested that all the gear might be there and it might be just a matter of fitting a fuse etc. But As suspected i cannot get it to work. After a few phone calls by him we were know further along. I told him i would get back to my supplier and chase it up. The steering wheel control switches mount on and look tidy (like a factory fitted unit) the brake switches also were easy one click installation but the unit is not woirking. I can get the cruise control light to show (by pressing the phone switch) but nothing else.

My ute is a 2007 D40 RX. I was thinking as controls were coming from Thailand and my ute was made in thailand ute that it would work out. Will make a few more enquies and let you know how i get on.

eBayISAPI.dll

forgive me if this message pops up again. I tried to reply to the thread aerlier and it has not shown up..

Here is an update.

I did a fair bit of homework on the cruise control unit from ebay (Thailand). I spoke to the supplier and he assured me all i needed was his switches for the steering wheel and the brake and clutch swithes he was supplying and i would be good to go.

I chased it up with our local nissan dealer who had no idea and his computer told him there was no factory cruise available for the D40. After previous runnings i decided to pursue other avenues. I found a local auto electrician who suggested there may be a wiring loom in the D40 already which corosponded with my ebay friend.

So i lashed out and ordered the unit. Went to the auto electrician and got it fitted. He said it clipped on nicely every thing fitted. The brake switch was just a click and turn. Sweet

It didnt work. It looks great. Nice and tidy. Just like a factory cruise - Except for the fact that the controls dont work. I can get the cruise light to show up on the dash by pressing the phone control switch. good that the light come up. Bad cause i press the wrong switch.

NISSAN NAVARA D40 05-09 CRUISE CONTROL UNITS PATHFINDER (eBay item 200549151429 end time 28-Feb-11 02:26:21 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

My auto electrician made some phone calls but proceeded to get no further. He suggested it may be as simple as putting a fuse in the fuse box. I can not find a fuse that corrosponds with the cruise unit. I have email my ebay supplier to see if i can get more infomation.

My initial thought is that the wiring in the harness is different. Which could be why the phone swith is turning the cruiise on but i am not sure wether this is the root of the problem. Even if the wiring loom is corrected i am not sure it will work.

I will keep you updated.

Non Genuine was $990 fitted. A stick on the side of steering column (looked crap)

Total cost so far
ebay $320
Auto Electrician $135
I have $535 left to spend!!!!!!!!!! - I might get there.

Last edited:
Just made some headway.

I have chased up another purchasor from Aus and he had also bought from the supplier in Thailand. Apparently a couple of the wires are mis matched but when corrected all is good. Ive got it booked in again this week so ill keep you updated.

Belly760, I am very interested if you manage to get this to work as I have an 08 RX myself that could do with cruise.

Where are you located and can you take pics of the install.

Yeah mate located in Goulburn NSW. Not sure how to upload pics. I have tried before but they didnt pop up.

Cruise buttons are mounted on the steering wheel. Click on the ebay link above to see what they look like.

It is just a mater of determining out the wiring diagram. which wire goes where apparently. Ill have a go at it on the weekend if i get a moment.

Will keep you posted.

as to the question of why the cruise wont initially turn on
make sure your foot is not on the clutch I have the factory fitted kit and the clutch only takes a movement to disengage it or not let it turn on
sometimes its the things too simple to think of that cause the problems.
for your sake I hope thats all it is.

Well here is the update. Ten mins on a sat morning and it is up and running. The wires were just mismatched. As a few earlier post suggested it may be that the cruise units were wired to go to the spanish utes. Mine was made in thailand. Hench the wiring harnesses may have been slightly different.

I am not going to take the credit for solving the problem. I was helped by another ebayer i contacted who had also bought from the thailand supplier. He had played around with the wires and got his unit to work. Old Tony also did some ground work although i did have problems following his instructions. I am a little bit simple i think.

Moral to the story. for $320 and ten mins on a sat morning you can have cruise. Under the right instructions.

I need someone to help me out uploadingt photos and i will post some instructions and pics

Here we go. Here is the Ebay cruise control Switch purchase and installation. Supplier of cruise was from Thailand (ebay)$320. All care but no responsibility taken. It worked for me though.
Firstly, Remove Air bag fuse, disconnect Battery, then wait 10mins before you go any further, to ensure the airbag power is fully dead
Secondly, You need to Remove the airbag. This is really easy but you need to follow these destructions closely. When looking at the shape of the hole in the steering wheel shroud it is deceiving. Ie the direction the hole is guiding you to push the wire is wrong. There are wires in there that you don’t want to pierce. So follow as below
SRS Air Bag Wire Latch - The Navara Forum Gallery

The easiest way is to orientate the steering wheel 1/4 of a turn anti clockwise so the hole is visible when standing at the drivers side. You can see the wire (its about as thick as a coat hanger wire). Now push the wire carefully towards the passenger side door. You may need to jiggle it a bit but the airbag has a couple of springs on it that should just allow it to pop out.
Air Bag Removal - The Navara Forum Gallery

Once the airbag has popped out it has a couple of wires on it. I did not remove the wires fully as the clip look technical. Only the horn wire.
You can now access all you need to for the installation of your cruise components sent from Thailand.
The only thing to do now is to correct the wiring in the switches so as that the cruise works.
Cruise Wiring Clip - The Navara Forum Gallery

Grab the components sent from Thailand. Just unclip the wiring clip on top of socket and by hand carefully pull the wires out of the harness clip. Rearrange them as shown in the picture. The yellow red and black are the crucial ones. (Note although the switches are there for the radio and phone I could not rearrange the wires to get them to work – I don’t even know If my radio is wired up for it.)
Wire Harness - The Navara Forum Gallery

Now you need to install the brake and clutch switches. I did not have a clutch switch as mine is a manual but I assume it would install the same as the brake. The wires and clips are already there. Find the wire – it was clipped along side the current brake light sensor. Just locate the spare hole. Push the switches down until the button on the switch is fully depressed and then turn it clockwise until it clicks
Brake Switch - The Navara Forum Gallery
Brake Switch - The Navara Forum Gallery

You are done. Reassemble everything. See if it works. Then have a beer because you just saved yourself about $600 on a universal cruise ute.:cheers!:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back