How much does your D40 smoke?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
HI Guys,

I thoughtr I'd ask the question before I ring Nissan. My D40 puts out a good puff of smoke (enough to see it in my mirror during the day) when I take off from the lights sometimes and especially if the turbo hasnt spooled yet ie 1000 to 1500rpm if I take a really slow corner in second. I thought this was perfectly normal for a diesel but I spoke to 2 mechanics yesterday and they are both adamant that they shouldnt smoke at all under the euro emmission laws?

I raced a commodore off the lights yesterday and left a bloody smoke screen James Bond would be proud of!

What could be causing it if its not normal?

Cheers
Matt

EDIT: The car has only got 2000kms on it and is only about 3 weeks old.

Last edited:
dirty air filter, poor fuel, fuel pressure sensor data hasn't been reset when filter was changed, egr problem.

finally those assie mechanics are learning ;)

Pack a day.

Haha good call.

I forgot to mention guys my Navara has only just clicked over 2000kms so air filter is still spot on (I checked just in case), could be poor fuel but it has done it on the three different fuels from three different servo's I have put in it so far.

Haha good call.

I forgot to mention guys my Navara has only just clicked over 2000kms so air filter is still spot on (I checked just in case), could be poor fuel but it has done it on the three different fuels from three different servo's I have put in it so far.

Have you tried running it on the new BP Ultimate Diesel....its a bit more expensive but its heaps better for all new common rail diesel engines...its EURO spec basically. Using it basically means much less chance of water or some other crap in normal diesel blowing out the tiny holes at the end of the injectors....30000psi will easily do it if there is a small bit of water or sediment in there. This will kill ur power too, and leave you with an expensive repair (not covered under warranty either).

I think Caltex have also started bring in Vortex Diesel which is very similar, again Euro spec diesel.....think thats in VIC only tho, and BP Ultimate Diesel is in QLD only at this stage i believe.

My D40 is about 7 weeks old and i can see it blowing smoke at night in peoples headlights, but def not during the day. I would check how its tuned, if its running very rich this will also blow lots of smoke....my neighbours maverick is tuned to run rich and he gets a similar result when taking off.

Cheers,

if you cn't get the good diesel try some fuel attive that raises the cetane level.

Yeah I tried the BP ultimate diesel, still did it. I have tried a few different places to see if its fuel but still seems the same. I'll ring Nissan on tuesday and see what they say.

Have you tried running it on the new BP Ultimate Diesel....its a bit more expensive but its heaps better for all new common rail diesel engines...its EURO spec basically. Using it basically means much less chance of water or some other crap in normal diesel blowing out the tiny holes at the end of the injectors....30000psi will easily do it if there is a small bit of water or sediment in there. This will kill ur power too, and leave you with an expensive repair (not covered under warranty either).

I think Caltex have also started bring in Vortex Diesel which is very similar, again Euro spec diesel.....think thats in VIC only tho, and BP Ultimate Diesel is in QLD only at this stage i believe.

My D40 is about 7 weeks old and i can see it blowing smoke at night in peoples headlights, but def not during the day. I would check how its tuned, if its running very rich this will also blow lots of smoke....my neighbours maverick is tuned to run rich and he gets a similar result when taking off.

Cheers,

nah, here in WA we got BP ultimate diesel too.

good stuff, but the price!

my d22 2.5CR is about to hit 6000km and it doesnt seem to be blowing smoke apart from the one time i parked on a hill and it bogged, but otherwise never again?

try resetting your ECU's and that might help, who knows

My son-inlaw bought a new D40 and it smoked like crazy from day one so after a week he took it back to dealer and they adjusted some thing to do with the turbo /computer. Only took about half an hour and they fixed it. So, I would suggest you take it to your dealer and let him worry about it.

My son-inlaw bought a new D40 and it smoked like crazy from day one so after a week he took it back to dealer and they adjusted some thing to do with the turbo /computer. Only took about half an hour and they fixed it. So, I would suggest you take it to your dealer and let him worry about it.

Thanks mate will do

I wonder what they do i have complained about mine blowing black smoke and they don think its ne more than normal well i thought normal should be none.

normal is NONE.

i forgot about a common fault, fuel pressure sensor. it may be simply over fueling due to faulty sensor.

mine smokes a fair bit when i give it some from take off, havent bothered asking the dealer to fix it yet because i know they will just say theres nothing wrong with it.

Ok so I finally decided to ring the dealer and he said to bring it in and they will check it out. Its going in on tuesday the 12th May. He said that they have benn having trouble with them over fueling, with both the D22's and the D40's. He also said that some of the D40's are cutting out because the sensors tell the computer that the car is running too rich. Mine has never cut out though.

Will let you all know what they say.

Cheers
Matt

Ok so I finally decided to ring the dealer and he said to bring it in and they will check it out. Its going in on tuesday the 12th May. He said that they have benn having trouble with them over fueling, with both the D22's and the D40's. He also said that some of the D40's are cutting out because the sensors tell the computer that the car is running too rich. Mine has never cut out though.

Will let you all know what they say.

Cheers
Matt

Do you have it sorted yet Matt?

Do you have it sorted yet Matt?

I had to cancel the appointment because it is hardly smoking now, only if it is at really low revs. I am trying to use a different fuel every time I fill up to see if it is fuel or not. I rang them and told them that it wasnt smoking on the current tank of fuel and they said they were happy to have a look at any time but probably not worth bringing it in if it isnt smoking. I'm buggered if I know whats going on. Maybe I was just driving it like it was a petrol (lead foot) and now I am used to driving it?

Im happy with it how it is at the moment though.

Old thread but i did a search. My 2010 st d40 is smoking badly. New to diesels, so assumed this was part and parcel, but we are 4wding at Tangalooma atm and the mrs old man said something to me today about the amount of smoke it is blowing, and i have noticed it while driving since new. Just had the f-cka serviced on tuesday for 10000 kms, should i take it back when i get back to sydney, thanks in advance

If you don't want to try and fix any problem yourself it's worth taking in back especially after only 10,000ks. Even if you do want to hunt for any issues yourself the car is only 10,000ks old I'd be making Nissan look into it before I did anything too much even if I knew what the problem was.

Back