roof racks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eug

Reaction score
hi all tried a search in the d40 section and sifted through some gallery photos but not much on roof racks. i was curious to know as to what brands people are using (rhino?) and if anyone went the nissan option?

i like the idea of the smooth/slimline fit but they require drilling/rivets. are the clip on style ones prone to scratching? post up photos if you've got them!

cheers
eug

hi all tried a search in the d40 section and sifted through some gallery photos but not much on roof racks. i was curious to know as to what brands people are using (rhino?) and if anyone went the nissan option?

i like the idea of the smooth/slimline fit but they require drilling/rivets. are the clip on style ones prone to scratching? post up photos if you've got them!

cheers
eug

I can't quote from personal experience but I've read somewhere that the OEM roof racks tend to cause water leaks around the upper door seals.....just something you might like to check further.

I have track mounted Rhino Racks in the 'aero' format.

While the more expensive solution I chose it coz:

• 100 kg load rated (remembering that the weight limit on roof racks drops by 33% when off roading)
  • track mount = fully adjustable within the track
  • Aero model = less wind noise
  • Fixed postion racks have been known to leak water under the rubber door seals
On top the racks I use a Rola roof basket

just looking on their site now and it looks good bosshog, how are the mounts actually fitted to the car though?

The track mount bars are screwed to the track which is riveted to the roof of the cab

The track mount bars are screwed to the track which is riveted to the roof of the cab

^^ as rescue said!

P1000744.jpg

d22 but gives you an idea what the rhino racks look like. Mounts in the door jamb, minimal noise, negligable fuel econ difference noted, and piss easy to fit.

Attachments

• DSCF0353.JPG
    DSCF0353.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 342
I have the Nissan racks, no water leaks as such but are noisy cause they are squarish in shape. The rubber seal has a snick in it from the mounts but no leak. Was warned away from using any rack that had to be drilled into roof for mounts due to rust issues, but havent heard of anyone with a problem. If i had my time again i would go for more aero dynamic rack. I also have a Ti Murano with nissan racks and they are garbage. Same style as the Nav and just as noisy. Ran into a block who had rola racks and they looked smick and mucher better suited.

Rust is not an issue if installed by a professional who uses cold gal paint on the holes and the proper neutral cure sealant under the track as per Rhino Racks instructions.

thanks for the tips, my initial fears were in regards to rivetting and rust. will look into it.
cheers again
eug

Eug, I had the same initial fears as yourself but after looking into it I decided to go the track mount Rhino racks. As Rescue mentioned, get it installed by a pro or do all the right things yourself, cold gal and correct sealant and everything will be fine.

I've also been told that the type that mount in the door jamb are useless when going off road as they tend to move when 4WDing leaving scratched on the roof.

I've had mine on for just over 12 months and can't go without them now, they are fantastic, and no rust (that I can see) or water getting in (I used alot of cold cal and heaps of sealant).

good stuff, i suppose the rivets are much stronger than i give them credit for.

thanks for the feedback.
cheers
eug

I had the ones that clip inside the doors fitted by Nissan dealer when I bought the car new. They have since been replaced under warranty with the track mounted ones. Look better, a little quieter and best of all they no longer leak water.

i have the rhino tracks but no roof racks. Does anyone know if you can buy the racks alone?

Any Rhino Rack dealer should be able to help if you can wait until late February, when I'm back home give me a yell

I ended up going to Heavy Duty Rola racks as I wanted to stick with black bars on a black truck. Were a bit cheaper too. Same attachment as the Rhino - with Rivets. I also have a Rola Vortex rack on top - with the Rola bars it sits a little high on mine - but I can squezze my MaxTracks under them, so make good use of the space. My Garage has a few pics...

I bought the Rhino Roof racks that sit under the door seals and found that it leaked into the cab each time it rained.
Took it back to autobarn and they were great, i paid the difference and bought the Rhino Aero track mounted racks.
Easy to install and as you would expect no more wet floor in the cab.

Worth the extra $$$ to stop the leaks and reduce the noise.

Back