Driving with only one hub locked??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmo

Reaction score
Hi guys, just took delivery of our brand new D22 ST-R this arvo, and upon giving it a walk around inspection at home, I noticed that one front hub was locked and the other free.....
Not being too mechanically minded, can anyone advise me if this is likely to have caused any damage?

There is only 50km on the odo, so assuming its been like it from word go, it hasn't travelled far.
The manual warns against driving under this scenario, so I'm a little concerned.
Also wondering if I should get the stealership to make a note of it in case of future problems.....?

cheers

Lmo

Hi guys, just took delivery of our brand new D22 ST-R this arvo, and upon giving it a walk around inspection at home, I noticed that one front hub was locked and the other free.....
Not being too mechanically minded, can anyone advise me if this is likely to have caused any damage?

No, it'll be fine.

The manual warns against driving under this scenario, so I'm a little concerned.

The manual is a spoilsport.

Also wondering if I should get the stealership to make a note of it in case of future problems.....?

No don't worry about it. Just unlock the hub. If the diff fails in future it won't be because of that.

the manual says you should drive around for 16 kms per month with the hubs locked to keep the shafts lubricated properly (just locked hubs, not engaged in 4wd). you say you had just one locked in, unless you have locked the other in and done a few kms i'd do that one for a few kms now too, even if it's just around the block.

i often leave them locked in for a few days. unlockable hubs serve to save fuel. that is it!

Cheers guys....I can now sleep easy tonight!! ;)

thanks for the quick replies!

All it would of done is spun your front diff, which they are designed to do so like has been said, it will be fine! Enjoy your new ride

The problem arises when BOTH hubs are locked, 4WD is engaged AND you are driving on a firm surface (dry hard-packed dirt, bitumen, concrete etc). Because the vehicle's transmission is tying the rotation of the wheels together at the same rate, trying to go around a corner (thus making the inside wheels turn less than the outside wheels) causes tension in the transmission ("binding") and stretches the transfer case chain and strains the CV joints.

As above, unlock it and don't worry. Just remember not to engage 4WD on a firm surface and you'll be fine.

The only issue I can see with it is that with only one hub locked it will have had the locked axle spinning forwards and the other one backwards, the side and spider gears must have just about been humming!

I would doubt it would do anything significant to the diff though in 50km. It is not like there was any load on it at the time.

rather than unlocking it as someone mentioned above, you should be locking the other one if it is a brand new vehicle. my hubs were locked in when i took delivery of mine and nissan stated that they had to be locked in for the first 1000km's to run the front diff in.

rather than unlocking it as someone mentioned above, you should be locking the other one if it is a brand new vehicle. my hubs were locked in when i took delivery of mine and nissan stated that they had to be locked in for the first 1000km's to run the front diff in.

Haven't seen that one in the manual, not sure how the diff can be run in without load?

Even if it is unlikely to cause damage, what's the harm in getting the dealership to note it? Then if it does break and they try to blame you, you will be able to quickly end the argument

My hubs were locked at the stealership when new. He told me to leave them locked in until the first fuel refill.

Told me it was to help bed in the front diff.

Back