2.5 Ltr D22 STR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day to all,

Just pricing up exhaust systems for my Nav, best deal I've got is a Mandrel Bent 2.5" System with the one Hi-Flow resi, installed for $300

Is this going to do the job, told that 3" would be a bit too much on the 2.5 Ltr and would get a groan when cruising on the highway.........

Would you go stainless? Or just the mild steel.

$300 sounds like a good price to me, but if there's a non-mandrel bent option that's considerably cheaper, it's useful to know that unless a bend is more than about 60 degrees with an arc radius of less than, say, 200mm, the flow separation is much the same between mandrel and any other method, so the drag is much the same.

It takes a lot of flow in a 3" pipe to reach the maximum flow velocity and capacity and on the majority of vehicles, you'd be wasting your time trying to eliminate pressure that isn't there. You're better off minimising the pipe length and the number and degree of bends.

Stainless is good if you want the exhaust system to last a long long time, but mild steel should do fine for at least 15 or 20 years with minor repairs, unless you love the ocean and it loves your truck.

Or, stainless is great if you want to polish your visible sections to look sweet.

Oh, and happy birthday!

Last edited:
2.5" is ample for the 2.5 ltr, what exactly does it have now in regards to the exhaust, I know the D40s already start out with a 2.5" mandrel bent system back to the muffler, is the D22 similar or is it 1 7/8" like the 3.0 D22?

Hi Matt, what was the name of the place that gave u that quote? I've been looking as well.

cheers

Just measured mine with some Verniers, it appears to be 2" up to the cat and then 2 1/8" from then on. Didn't measure on any bends, only straight sections.

Howday all again, got the 2.5" system put in this morning ($300 Exhaust Bros). The price I was quoted wasnt for mandrel bent, but for the extra $150 they all said it wasn't worth it as only the one small bend towards end of system, pipe finishes just behind passenger mud gaurd on tray.
They seemed to think that it would be worth doing the dump pipe and putting in a high flow cat towards the rear, they guessed it would be around 30-40% better off but haven't done one yet on a late model D22. It would cost around another $650 but they are going to look into it and get back to me, only problem is it would void any warranty issues.

Has anyone done any exhaust mods on there late model Nav ??

Have seen some Magnaflow Cat's on ebay 2.5" metal ones for around $200 ?? Any good ??
Some are 100 cpsi some are 200 cpsi, whats the diff ??

Diesel and Petrol Cats are different!

Does yours have A DPF? (diesel particulate filter)

Also you might experience some ill effects due to overboosting.
See the patrol refernce guide on the patrol 4x4 forums. (all to do with the variable vane turbo, to much boost sends the ecu into a 'safe' mode)

tommy, you missed the great debate about a month or 2 back about whether my 08 navara (not str, but DX) had a variable turbo or not.

from all the photos i took and showed to the guys on here it appears to be a standard turbo, and like a standard turbo, it doesnt kick in properly til a bit higher in the rev range where as the variable turbos should just kick in straight away.

plus i've heard that variable turbos just blow all the time, lol, so probably glad mine is standard.

Latest posts

Back