d40 manual advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awest

Reaction score
looking at a rx d40 manual. test drove and loved it once mobile but a bit hard to get off the mark. do you get better at this and how do they go towing. anyone have a chip it chip on one and does this help down low and getting of the line uphill. does anyone know if they will put the 140 kw motor in the rx, thanks for your comments, cheers

Yeah you do get used to them, but that said every now and then I still stall mine normally at the worst possible time.
Reverse seems to be my enemy thats when I stall the most......
I tow plenty with mine, my Malibu wake boat weighs 2+ tonne, I have had to go into low range whilst being stuck in traffic on steep hillls. I also tow an enclosed motorbike trailer about 1 tonne loaded tows fine no probs.
Mine is an 07 STX TD has 120,000km still on original clutch
Hope that helps

ive got an st d40 manual. prob towing same as badbowie most days for work. you do get used to it.

I'm not jumping in about the clutch - I drive an auto. However, I'm going to highlight this:

... I have had to go into low range whilst being stuck in traffic on steep hillls.

This - if it needs to be done - should ONLY be done in a straight line. The D40 will go into 4WD mode (you can't unlock the hubs like you can on a D22) and using 4WD on a solid surface will stretch the transfer chain and put excessive strain on the CVs and the front diff (the rear diff is tough).

It is HIGHLY recommended to NOT engage any 4WD mode on a hard surface.

For those that read that post and are considering using 4WD on steep hills, you'll probably find that badbowie only does it in a straight line - because otherwise, that transfer chain would already be rattling away like grandma's dentures on a snowy night.

There are two driveshafts, one from the transfer case to the front differential, and one from the transfer case to the rear differential.

However, INSIDE the transfer case is a chain. It's fairly typical for modern 4WDs.

Sometimes I have had no choice whilst towing the boat just enables you to crawl up a hill without slipping the clutch...Once to the top whilst stopped select high range again all good.
BUT when I put my boat away requires low range and turning whilst reversing up a hill on hard surfaces don't have a choice, i understand the possible issues to the drivetrain with doing this but I'm not able to do it any other way...

Back