D22 vs. D40 ...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uniden

Reaction score
Hey folks. New melbournian here.
I know this has probably been asked many times... But.. I'm really stuck between the 22 and the 40.

As far as i understand...
In a nutshell, it's a fairly similar car with same, but differently tuned drive-train and engine, and cosmetic look inside and outside? But other than that its a car with same DNA ?
I'd like to spend around 30-35k. And a D22 can be easily bought brand new with that sort of dough, with a lot of things thrown in, the way prices go at the moment. I'm just really stuck on the fact, if i should spend that on a used 40, ST or even STX with a few k's on it. I preffer a newish car though.
It would be my main get-around car. Some very minor trailer towing. With some trips around the state. No serious 4WD-ing. But a little newbie off-roading during trips would be nice. I'll be running around looking and sorting out some finances during this weekend/week, so if anybody could point out some major facts i should know about, please do.
Thanks ahead.
Eric.

As far as i understand...
In a nutshell, it's a fairly similar car with same, but differently tuned drive-train and engine, and cosmetic look inside and outside? But other than that its a car with same DNA ?

Gday Eric,

They are completely different trucks, in fact the only thing thats shared is the engine block. The D22 is more suited as a tradies truck, from what you have described the D40 would be better suited to your needs.

I agree with 08KC, normally I wouldn't suggest a second hand car over a new one but they are two different utes and if your going to do touring and everyday driving the D40 is better suited. It will still play in the dirt if you ever want it too but as a daily ride it's got a little more comfort.

Oh and you're right the question has been asked heaps of times, but welcome to the forums anyway

like 08 said, they are toatally different. ask a D40 owner and they'll tell you they are better, ask a D22 owner and they'll tell you the D22 is better. basically they will both do what you want easily; i find my D22 to be a comfortable drive but i've heard others say they are horrendous. Horses for courses. there's lots of aftermarket kit you can get for both but the D22 has almost endless bits for you to bold on.

go and drive both and then see which one you like th best.

D22 all the way.

Heaps better built and parts are cheaper.

Sure D40's are nice to drive but I wouldn't own one.

Dave.

Heaps better built and parts are cheaper.

Haha like that can be said about any car these days. they are all built with the same lack of care and consideration and they all have expensive parts.

Sure D40's are nice to drive but I wouldn't own one.

You should take into account whether we want you owning one, not whether you want to own one :eviltongue:

True, would be good if Nissan still built all the vehicles in Japan.

Thats one of the main factors I bought the D22.

Dave.

That and the fact you didn't understand just how much more superior D40's and their owners really are. :sarcastic:

Na the tried and tested model won as I wasn't keen to get the series 1.

Dont reckon Id ever buy a series 1 of any car.

Dave.

I probably wouldn't either.

I also couldn't see myself driving across the country in a D22 because they just didn't feel like a vehicle I could sit in for 10 hours at a time. I couldn't give a rats about which ute has the best bits because in general I reckon most parts are made to the same quality no matter where they are from.

The fact that I couldn't see myself driving a D22 across the country is purely a personal decision based on the comfort I didn't feel in them but everyone is different, what is comfortable for one isn't comfortable for another. Doesn't make the D22 less capable of the same job.

That being said. We still don't want you in a D40 Dave :eviltongue:

Getting away from the MCIBTYC argument ...

The D22 isn't as smooth as a D40, although it is quite comfortable and for a work vehicle it would be fine. It's in the long hauls that the D40 really outshines the D22 for cabin comfort.

I'll assume you're comparing the D22 dual cab with the D40 dual cab. The D40 has a larger cabin, is a slightly longer vehicle with a longer wheelbase and the D22 can turn a little tighter. The new D40s have better ground clearance, smoother suspension and more features.

D40 STX (not ST) Dual Cabs have child restraint hooks built in. Other models don't.

Spanish D40s are supposed to have stronger chassis than the Thai-built D22s (and Thai built D40s too). These are the vehicles with VINs starting with 'VSK'.

D40 has more horse power than the D22 but it comes on in a rush, the D22 is much smoother in its power curve, it just doesn't peak as high - the turbochargers are different.

I don't think the D22 comes in an auto - the D40 does. The D22's don't seem to have too many clutch issues either.

If money is tight AND there are no kids to worry about in the back seat, the D22 would be the way to go as you can afford a new one.

If you're planning on kids (or NOT, and there's a chance), maybe consider the 2nd hand D40. You will still get warranty with it for that price.

The best thing you could do is DRIVE BOTH and choose what YOU are comfortable with.

Edit: Just in case I change my sig, click here for Dave's real opinion.

Last edited:
Its alright Krafty, next time I am down your way Ill give you a drive of the D22.

Warning though, you will probably wanna trade the D40 in.

Hey Tony, I was only saying the D40's are more comfortable.

After working hard all day cutting hair and waxing you would want a more comfy ride on the way home. Lol.

Dave.

I'm cooking the popcorn for this epic.

Hey we need a popcorn smilie added..

I guess ya's all know where my vote casts.
read below.

:cheers!:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah true enough, Dave.

I think both vehicles are good. I like my creature comforts and we DO a lot of long drives.

Which reminds me, we now have to get our 40,000km service BEFORE we go away at Christmas - we're going to be well overdue if we leave it until we come back. $1,200 ... ouch!

Beep $1200, what are they doing pulling the gearbox out at your expense aswell ?

Dave.

From the manual:

Inspect brake, clutch & auto trans fluid for level & leaks.
Replace brake fluid
Inspect brake booster vacuum hoses, connections & check valve
Inspect manual steering gear oil
Inspect power steering fluid & lines
Inspect brake, clutch & exhaust systems
Inspect CVT fluid or Hyper-CVT fluid
Inspect manual transmission oil
Replace LSD oil
Inspect steering gear & linkage, axle & suspension, propeller & front drive shafts
Inspect Automatic Speed Control Device (ASCD) vacuum hoses
Inspect wheel alignment
Inspect brake pads, rotors & other brake components
Inspect brake linings, drums etc
Lubricate locks, hinges & hood latch
Inspect seat belts, buckles, retractors, anchors & adjuster
Inspect foot brake, parking brake & clutch pedal
Replace air conditioning filter
Replace auto trans fluid
Inspect diff oils
Replace diff oils if towing or driving off-road
Inspect brake lamp & cruise control switches
Tighten body mountings
Tighten rear body bolts & nuts
Lubricate axle joint
Replace transfer oil
Lubricate propeller shaft
Replace front wheel bearing grease
Inspect free-running hub grease
Inspect steering damper

It's not the biggest service, but it's still comprehensive.

Its alright Krafty, next time I am down your way Ill give you a drive of the D22.

Warning though, you will probably wanna trade the D40 in.

But Dave I already have a Kubota I can drive whenever I want and it hasn't made want to trade down the a D22 :eviltounge:

Not that I pay for labour when it comes to servicing but I really think servicing is another area where the D22's have it over the D40. Although the differences between independent servicing a D40 and a D22 don't always vary as much as dealer servicing does there is still a difference for what is in many cases the same job.

I didn't take servicing into account when I brought mine because I knew it wasn't going to be done at Nissan but a quick look down the servicing board at any dealership may be enough to convince people which vehicle to choose because on going costs are as much to do with a new vehicle as the purchase price.

Beware though a quick glance on the service board might turn you into a Tiida driver.

Tony to me thats only $300 worth of work.

I use to get my Nav serviced every 40,000km's by Rutherford motors and he would charge $400.

Thats oil and filter (Supplied by me)
Gearbox and transfer oil.
Front Diff and rear diff oil.
Brake fluid and clutch master cylinder.
Tailshaft regrease.
Air filter change and fuel filter change (Supplied by me)
Fitting my pyro probe and torsion bars.

I asked him 3 times if that was enough as I felt bad.

Best customer service locally.

Dave.

Krafty so the Kubota gets the pull the D40 out when it gets stuck on the gutter. Lol.

Dave.

Dunno about the gutter but yeah I got bogged in the old house paddock a few months back when I strayed off the track because I forgot to look backwards at the same time as reversing and I had to use the Kubota to get me out.

One man (barely), two vehicles, a tow rope and the crest of the hill, was a very slow move because I didn't want the Nav to come up over the crest and roll into the forks of the tractor. Had their been someone else around it would have been ok because they could have controlled the Nav but even with all the mod cons the D40 has it doesn't control itself on slippery hills.

But I don't feel bad about it because I got the Prado stuck deeper than the Nav in the dairy paddock and the Kubota actually had to work to drag that bugger out, was a low second gear take off.

Latest posts

Back