cb antenna wire

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tague_100

Reaction score
hi guys,

In my attempt to tidy up the engine bay of all the wiring, I put all the new wires through flexible conduit.
Not realising that I had already ran the cb antenna wire through I stupidly cut the conduit and in doing so have cut the bloody antenna wire....

Is there any harm in re connecting the wire where the cut was made or am I going to loose reception quality and range?

I have been to a couple of local electronic shops to see if they may stock a new connection that fits in to the base of the antenna, that way there is no extra join.
Its a GME AE4702 Antenna, and the part number is PL259, but on GME's website that particlular part looks different.

Any suggestions would be great.

Are they climped at the base ?

A mate has the same antenna but he is working about 400km's away so I cant check.

I fixed his before.

Post up a pic of where the cable goes in.

Dave.

There will be some loss whenever a cable is cut and joined (whether by a connector or just solder) but unless you do a botched job of the repair chances are you'll never notice it. Even though connectors or even a complete re-wire wouldn't cost much I'd do the solder repair and give it a go before I went down the path of replacing things.

Best would be to rewire, though it means taking apart the ant.

Could do a soldered joint ( as Krafty says) making sure both braid and centre wire are soldered (separately) and reinsulated so there not touching, or use a couple of PL259 type connectors and do a join.

I highly recommend you do a SWR test after and make sure everthing's sweet.

:cheers!:
Jim.

Latest posts

Back