st-r gearbox problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navo

Reaction score
Hi there I have a 2006 ST-R Navara with a ZD30 with manual box. The problem I have is that 5th gear pops out when driving on the highway. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem or does anyone know if this is a common problem and is it easily fixed?

Hi there I have a 2006 ST-R Navara with a ZD30 with manual box. The problem I have is that 5th gear pops out when driving on the highway. I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem or does anyone know if this is a common problem and is it easily fixed?

This is a common problem, and happens on lots of different cars.

The most common cause is a driver who kept his hand on the gearstick while driving... The hand tends to pull down slightly on the gearstick, rooting the gate etc...

More so than that, on older Nissans and Datsuns it was a sign of wear in the box. As all the clearances open up it would allow the driven gear for fifth to run at an angle instead of nice and square and that wears the dog teeth on an angle. Once it gets bad enough the thrust created by the wear will just push it out of top.

The biggest cause on the older boxes was the mainshaft nut coming loose and allowing all the thrust clearances on tha mainshaft to open up, not sure if they got around that problem in the later ones. I know that compared to the older ones the more modern boxes have a flat bearing under the nut and washer where the old ones did not.

Back