Mr Harvey's plea for more business

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

It's been a while since I had a good rant but that isn't going to change now because I'm just going to have a mediocre rant.

Poor old Gerry Harvey is chasing some more free publicity (ACA and TT are probably already on the case) by re-igniting his complaint about the $1000 GST exemption particularly on stuff brought from overseas websites.

One of his claims is along the lines of local business being hurt because so many people are spending money overseas and getting cheaper prices and adding the GST to the prices will make it fairer. Of course this only really works if the price difference is about 10% but in general the price differences are much greater that is why people choose overseas suppliers.

I can see Gerry's point but I don't agree with him (on anything really) and think that apart from giving him publicity this is more to do with him trying convince the government he is right and should not be ignored rather than helping support smaller Australian owned businesses.

If the prices difference was 10% there would be some room for Gerry's argument that it would make Aussie shops more competitive but when the price difference is nearly 50% on some items I can't see the logic in the argument. Also give that not every business in Australia that sells to the public has to charge GST for me it still makes it hard to see how a simple 10% on items under $1000 is going to save Australian businesses like Gerry claims.

How many out there actually agree with Gerry and think adding 10% to all purchases is a good idea?

Running a business my self I think the GST sucks.All it has done is cost me time and money with book keepers to be a f@#king tax collector and we don't get paid or any special benefits for doing the job of the government.

I wish Gerry was more concerned at the price we Aussies pay for household electronics and white goods compared to a numberof other Western countries We get ripped off at some of the pricing, hence why we more astute consumers look elsewhere.

I don't think the GST will have much of an impact.

The thing he's also forgetting is the free trade agreements the Gillard (she's a witch) is forever organising with other countries. This will impact upon those agreements so it'll never happen. Introducing a GST on net purchased imported goods is akin to an import tariff which breaches those free trade agreements.

Gerry has to come to terms with the fact that the world is going through a online consumer boom. Postage and small freight companies have never been more profitable because of it.

Gerry, you can shove your 10% GST.

If Harvey Norman weren't so f****** over priced for no reason whatsoever it wouldn't be an issue. I haven't walked into one in ten years.

I did once hear Gerry (in one of his many whinges) say that the aussie consumer is getting ripped off with overseas purchases because the customer service on warranties or when assistance is required is often not there. I know it's always hard looking down from a soap box but geez making comments like that makes it hard for anyone to agree that Gerry does anything for the greater good of anyone but himself.

It's easily solved. The overseas company charges you $2.50 for the entire Chevy V8 with 4 inch exhaust and quad turbochargers. Shipping is $12,000.

You pay the GST - $2.75 for the engine. Freight cost becomes an instant tax write-off as well, whereas the engine isn't.

Works the same for everything else. Get the latest Sony Vaio laptop ($4,000 in Hardly Normal) for $12 out of Hong Kong with $1150 shipping. Suddenly you've got a $13.20 instant tax deduction for a capital outlay and $1150 of plain business expenses.

Tony, you're a thinker!

Gerry Harvey loves his soapbox, he also commented that "There's no money in selling TV's". Well it worked ok for him for a lot of years so why not now? He's just as much against the locals undercutting him as online. The likes of JB HiFi and Wow Sight and Sound will be in his sights soon.

He just needs more profits to buy more race horses.

Boo bloody hoo. Big business ( and small) will have to realise that online shopping is here to stay, and thats the way it is.

A GST on anything brought in under $1000.00 (if it ever happens) will still be cheaper than buying it here.

Case in point, earlier this year bought a new bass guitar landed here for $720.00, in the shops here it is $1300.00. Sorry local businesses but $600.00 is better in my pocket than yours,

Plus the extra work for customs/aus post/etc etc checking/scanning & opening items.

Don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Gerry wants to convince people he understands how tough Aussie businesses are doing it and that his business is also suffering and this is why such changes need to be made but how many small businesses can afford to have 50% off sales, interest free sales, cost price sales every other week on half their store stock and still remain in business. To be able to afford to do such stupid sales tricks one has to massively increase the price to begin with.

I don't begrudge anyone making a sale and getting as much profit as they can for that sale but to do it continually then bitch when someone buys the same product your selling off someone else for a cheaper price the bitching becomes a bit boring. At the end of the day as a small business you can't sell to everyone so you just have to be happy with those you did sell to but Gerry thinks the government should be helping him because it's his right to sell to everyone.

This is a different area of Gerry-shit to the GST but he has been quoted before saying he wouldn't buy stuff on his interest free sales yet every other week there is a new interest free sale at his stores offering new ways for people who can't afford things to buy them, this by itself shows how little he cares about the consumer. The risk his store takes with such sales in almost non-existent because he's made the sales and the finance company takes the risk and in most cases the sale price increases. Where does caring for the consumer or even fellow aussie business come into that equation.

It's probably Gerry's missus who needs a wax job with her facelift so that she doesn't sport a Van Dyke beard.

Gerry's obviously too dumb to suggest she get a brazilian before seeing the plastic surgeon. With all that extra to pay, he's after more $. It's perfectly understandable.

Geez you're not wrong I just Googled her to see what you were saying and she does need some money spent on her, although some of that would surely go to psychiatrists for staying married to him and not just offing him for the insurance payout.

For professional services here in Australia, you bet. I'm a law-abiding citizen.

I'd do the job for $10. He'd gotta fork out $11,288.90 in travel allowance and danger money, but there's no GST on those. All up, $12,000 thanks.

(There is significant danger in a facelift of that magnitude. You have to stretch the skin enough to remove the wrinkles but not enough to give her a vertical smile - it requires great concentration).

Maybe Gerry will be so thankful that he will forget his little plea to the government to boost up his retirement fund and he'll just turn to the hobbit life with his new missus.

I have never been a Harvey Norman fan, the salesmen wont talk to you unless your 50 and in a suit so Bing Lee gets my business all the time or The Good Guys.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back