Simpson Desert Crossing 2011

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leprechaun

Reaction score
I'll put this one up nice and early, I'm planning on doing a Simpson crossing around June/July next year. I'll be travelling alone as the Mrs will have to work.

Planning on doing a east-west crossing with the exact route depending on road conditions at the time.

Anyone interested in tagging along?

Do you have any idea of dates? or how long a trip like this might take? I have two weeks off 4th July-17 July (school holidays) :) that I'll be looking for a trip to do...

you sure the Patrol will make it? better find a few Navs to tag along to ensure you get through :D

Are you thinking along these lines? Simpson Desert @ ExplorOz Treks

Yep, but east to west. 2 weeks would be doable but you would probably average 5-6 hours driving every day at a guess.

you sure the Patrol will make it? better find a few Navs to tag along to ensure you get through :D

I'm need a few utes to carry the extra fuel, I've read auto Patrols like a drink on sand, the Nav was brillant on fuel, something I will probably miss.

yeah, but I'd have the kids with me so... This might result in me strangling one or both of them. They do a 6-7 hr day in the car ok but thats about it, which is pretty good really considering their ages.

yeah, but I'd have the kids with me so... This might result in me strangling one or both of them. They do a 6-7 hr day in the car ok but thats about it, which is pretty good really considering their ages.

yes we have the same problem (2, 4 & 6) we are starting at oodnadatta on tuesday 28th of june and that's the big issue for me how do we get there and keep the kids happy (and us sane) ...

see my recent post

re: thoughts on getting somewhere!

Yeah theres no easy way. Mine are 5 and 6, I'm coming to the conclusion that you just cant go as far and you need to take longer to do it...

we have not found a solution for getting the car to Alice or anywhere close so we are thinking that we'll do a few really big days start really early (1am) and hopefully the kids will sleep till early morning and then it will be a big painful day for them - but then we'll spend 2 or 3 days in one place without any travelling.

i.e. broken hill in one long run - then spend a day there, then another day to Coober Pedy - 2 days there - another day to Uluru - 3 days there - then 1 day to oodnadatta - then 5 days in the desert - a day to longreach - 3 days there and then car, kids and wife on the train home to Brissy.

When I was a kid, Dad's solution was to put us to bed as normal and wakes up up about 2am*. Wake as in, transfer us to the car and put us back to sleep. that started when we were small enough to sleep one either side of the hump and little brother n a bassinet. Then it was 1,000kms straight trip to grandfather's farm except for stops.

We did it so many times that I still get in a car and can be asleep in 5mins time.

*Allowed him to get through Sydney (no freeways anywhere then) before morning traffic.

Edit; forgotten all the cars games we played, but sing along did feature strongly.

Hi there, we are going the same date but from east to west from port Augusta up to Uluru then from mt dare to Birdsville planing 2 weeks for that, 3 cars dads and kids... you are wellcome to join us... cheers
Marius

Latest posts

Back