East to West

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benfirri

Reaction score
Okay so i know there is some topics on here already about things similar to this but im after a bit of insight on if you have done it where to go and what to and not to see!

So im heading west, Sydney to Wa, Planning on going south through Melboure, Vic Adelaide and so forth im sure you get the idea, Following the coast most of the way untill we hit the Nullabour, and then from Norseman to Esperance.

Have you done it? what would you recomemend doing and seeing or not doing?

Also what did you carry? Spares ect... Fuel ( how much if any)

Im doing it in a 2010 d22 navara towing an off road camper trailer, ive never done a trip like this before so any insight would be great.

Cheers & Beers
Jason

What I would do.

Come down the coast from Sydney, then head towards Omeo, go thorugh the High Country to Bright, then follow the Murray to S.A. (Skip Melb), Then you could go through the Flinders, head across to Coffin Bay, Ceduna then across the Nullabor to Esperance etc.
How much time do you have?

OK, You may want to do the Great Ocean road too, personally I think it's over rated. Gippsland lakes and Phillip Island are OK if the weathers good.

I wouldn't worry about carrying too many spares if your sticking to the coast, just get total care from RACV,NRMA and you'll be right.

I did this trip when I was backpacking a few years ago, FJ45 cruiser troopy, needed almost as much oil & power steering fluid as fuel, thats all the spares we took. Fond memories!
Anyway, i think 08Kingcabs first post was right on the money, High Country & Flinders ranges are spectacular, Gt Ocean Rd is OK, but I don't think its worth making a special trip for.
Take a good camera, if its all new it doesn't matter where you go, you'll enjoy it

I'm with 08Kingcab rec. Unless you are planning on never doing the grey nomad thing, or have a beach fetish, leave the coastal drag till then. If you are not in a hurry and love fishing, there are plenty of places to drop a line, with or without a tinny, along the Murray and just laze for a day or two.

Maybe do the Tas loop as it is never going to get cheaper on the boat and back. I think CTs go cheaper(vague memory).

Tyre kick; what is your camper trailer and how has it performed.

Anywhere along the Vic coast is good, Robe in SA is good but I didn't think there was much between there and Adelaide, there is plenty of stuff to see but I didn't think there was anything that warranted staying for.

Some of the spots around the SA coast (mainly on the west side of Adelaide) are great like others have said.

Ceduna BIG 4 is a good place to stop however they will warn you about the locals we've never had problems but we've seen some weird people.

No matter what you read don't bank on anything at Yalata it's been closed for about 6 years now and there is no signs of it opening. Nundroo is nearly as bad and I believe it's BIODiesel but you can atleast get food and stuff there if you need it.

Nullabour RH obviously has the Bight if you want a 30 odd k trip off the highway, it's suppose to be open everyday but we have seen it closed.

We used to stop at Eucla but after our last trip we've decided it's not worth it with their dishonest pump signs and there rudeness, but really they can all afford to be rude out there. There is a number of things to look at at Eucla (telegraph station, cross etc) and there is a van park there. But I'd stop for fuel before you cross the border because last time we were there Eucla had a sign on their pump suggesting their pump figures are wrong but the register is right which reeks of a rip off to me, atleast Border Village is honest.

Mundrabilla is Bio so avoid unless desperate

Cocklebiddy are some of the rudest pricks on the Nullabor and they have had the most expensive fuel in out last 5 trips. Caiguna is a good spot for both fuel and food. Madura has been dearer on out past few trips so we haven't stopped there, but like Eucla has some wonderful photo opportunities.

Balladonia has the wreckage of SkyLab but they charge you alot for the privledge.

Norseman is about the first time you'll feel like you're back to something other than desert and there is a few places to stay. we don't tow a van so I have no idea what the van parks are like but they are usually half full or more. Pack for rain at Norseman it's rained 8 out of the last 10 times we've been there.

Heading south at Norseman also means you wont be able to play the full 18 holes of the Nullabor golf course so consider leaving the clubs at home.

Norseman to Esperance is a good drive, it's only a few hours but there isn't heaps to see, after that it's wonderful coast all the way to Perth. If you go inland a bit you can drive a steam train at Pemberton (a must for any train buff) and there is a brilliant cidery at Bridgetown if you're into cider.

When it comes to spares and fuel I carried nothing extra. I carried tools but seriously unless your travelling off the road help is never much more than an hour away. Next time I might consider taking a few spare parts but I costed buying jerry's and or a long range tank and it just wasn't going to be worth it for me. If you are staying on the highway each fuel stop is a maximum of about 300ks apart so needing extra fuel isn't a definite.

Always keep your CB on 40 and while sat phones can be useful they don't work at every spot on the Nullabour (mobile reception is at a few of the road houses) but you'll past so many trucks you'll loose count so with a CB you'll be able to call them if you need them.

If you're doing it in summer be aware of the temps at all time and make it a point to keep up to date with fires and other possible threats even if you've got someone at home checking BOM for you every day. And also be aware the WA cops do patrol their part of the highway fairly well and will catch speeders.

Enough info for you?

Krafty you feeling alright ?

No smart arse comments.

Ben, cant really help but your a lucky man. Should be a great trip.

Dave.

Nah I reserve most of my smart arse comments for you Dave (and Woody cause he is good and giving them back too).

Hey it's like a niche market I have found, I'm not a mud hopper or a desert basher but I can drive in a straight line across the country. Now if someone wants to know how to drive in a straight line, fix a computer, make a webpage and still maintain a delivery run with anything from 12 tonne to 60 tonne just you wait and see how helpful I can be.

Well to be fair you leave yourself open for so many of them it's hard to resist. Woody is a bit different, I'm counting his every insult and he owes me a beer for every one of them, I'll even tell him that one day.

Oh and Jason if your interested in a bit more info I have gathered east to west try
http://www.navara.asia/trips-touring/2305-melbourne-perth-fuel-accommodation.html That was done back in Jan after my first trip across in the Nav.

Perhaps the best advice I can offer when travelling to Perth is always always always remember to come home, the operation to remain a resident of WA is too painful and you loose way too many IQ points.

Hi folks, leaving Kalgoorlie on 28/12/10 heading to Ballarat to catch up with family and do some fishing, boat in tow. Will post up some current fuel prices from the thieving servos across the Nullabor and beyond. Krafty has summed things up pretty well in his posts as to what to expect.

Cheers John

Back