Engine trouble...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ledbeater

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm pretty new here, and writing to try and get some answers on a stalling d40. I have looked at a few posts on the topic but there are no real definitive answers that I can look into. My navara is a 2007 d40 diesel manual that is pretty stock. I have driven it most of the way around aus including melb to darwin with a boat on the back, and I love it. In 112,000 kms it hasn't missed a beat...until now. A couple of weeks ago I was at a suppliers car park going through some plans, when it dipped a couple of times idleing, and then stalled. I started it a few times, started fine, then stalled again. Spoke to my mechanic who suggested maybe bad fuel, something in the lines etc. Give it a couple of days and if it happens again take it to nissan. Well last friday it stalled at just about every set of lights, about a dozen times. It drives fine once I'm underway, but the stalling worries me. I tow a tandem work trailer most days, and was wondering if this would affect the ecu?? I am not looking forward to listening to the bullshit of the nissan service department so wondered if anyone could shed some light for me.... Cheers for reading

I am thinking a sensor is playing up.

Cant help to much on the D40's though as I drive a D22.

Dave.

Welcome to the forum!

I would have guessed bad fuel too. A bodgey batch of fuel (particularly low-quality biodiesel) could easily gum up the fuel filter. A couple of tankfuls won't help that - it will just get worse.

Towing won't cause the ECU to do this. It can change the fuel map, because most of your driving is done using more accelerator the ECU will 'learn' this behaviour if it gets reset, but it's a consumption thing not an idle issue.

It might be a faulty/leaking EGR valve. Block the damn thing off and be done with it. Get a piece of stainless steel sheet about 1mm+ thick, whip out the old gasket, cut out the shape and drill the two bolt holes then apply some Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor-Safe gasket cement. Put this in place of the gasket and see how it goes.

Just started to have this same problem tonight with my D22 2.5lt. Thinking I will take it to Nissan and see if the ECU can give any info to them. Can anyone please tell if disconecting the positive battery terminal resets the ECU? I removed it but hoping it didn't reset

I'd be looking at dirty fuel filter, dirty MAF or the suction control valve.

Next time it happens, as soon as you restart it floor the accelerator and see if it brings up a fault code and goes into limp mode. If it does then it's the suction control valve.

Mine did this for a start and then the rev's started to hunt when traveling at constant speeds as it got worst.

Thanks will give it a try. Did yours end up being the suction control valve?

Just a bit of a update Nissan had the ute for the day and ECU didn't show any error codes. Fuel test was OK. Fuel rail pressure was good. There only thought was SCV however they have only known of it playing up while car is being driven. Guess time will tell if problem gets worse.

Back