Help identifying OBD port

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz.fx

Reaction score
Hi all.
Could anybody help me out identifying this OBD port ?? (OBD, OBD2, Consult, Consult2 or whatever)
Everywhere I look I keep finding conflicting information on what it is and really don't want to go and spend any money on a reader just to find out that it doesn't suit.

2004 Navara D22, ZD30 Diesel.
obd..jpg

Cheers :cheers:
Fritz

I believe the 04 Nissans were OBDI or OBDII but if they were ODBII they weren't fully compatible with all ODBII scanners.

Dunno what the requirements are for Consult but I seem to remember Dave or someone saying Scangauge didn't fit their D22 which quite possibly makes the earlier D22's not fully compatible with OBDII

I am pretty sure its OBDII, the scan gauge wouldn't work on mine but Jase bought it off me and is running it on his YD25 powered D22.

There using OBDIII now I think, a few other guys should be able explain it better.

Dave.

Can't say I've ever read anything about OBDIII (but then I don't keep up with things that I don't need to understand). There is atleast 4 protocols for OBDII and depending on where your car was made and when as to which protocol it runs off. Not all Nissans run the same protocol just because of their badge so if Dave thinks his ZD30 is OBDII it probably is but it's a different protocol to the YD25

The YD25 runs a more advanced computer but I cant remember the exact details.

Bluester and WIR35 should be on the money when they get on.

Dave.

Never looked for it myself but according to the OBDII website one way of telling if you have an ODII port is

There will be a note on a sticker or nameplate under the hood: "OBD II compliant".

It wont tell you the protocol but there is other ways you can prove that.

A few guys on Patrol4x4 have made up software to talk to the ZD30's computer.

Haven't been on there for a while but they were doing it.

Dave.

It's not that hard to do, all you need is a guy with a tinfoil hat who wears a black t-shirt, sits in a windowless room and only see's things in 1's and 0's, they sometimes go by the title "Computer Programmer". (like me except I traded my tinfoil hat for the lazy attitude)

There is a number of open source OBDII readers out there that can be used as a base or just a few edits to make them do different things. The manufacture based tools do specific things however if you know what they are there is no reason why you can't make any programmable ODBII scanner do them.

I am happy to rip off cylinder heads but when comes to software I have no idea on where to start.

So these tin foil hat guys wearing a X-Files shirt are the guys who make viruses and Trojan horses ?

Dave.

I know where to start but really don't want too I hate programming.

I don't know anyone who writes that kind of stuff so I can't comment but I know the kind of guys who write hacking software and wreak havoc that way don't wear tinfoil hats because they aren't afraid of anyone.

Thanks for the replies fellas.
After a bit more reading it looks like the ute has an OBDII port but isn't OBDII compliant and uses ConsultII instead.
So I'll start looking for a ConsultII reader thats relatively inexpensive and see how I go with that.
As for the tin hats, I don't wear one but if these things output data to your PC's serial port then writing an app to monitor/display the info is a lot easier than most people think.

As far as I'm aware all OBDII ports are OBDII compliant by nature it's the protocols the manufacturer chooses that change what they are compatible with. And ConsultII is only a piece of software that Nissan and several other manufactures use that is based on the protocol chosen not actually the hardware (i.e the reader itself)

There is many free and paid for software packages which read and handle the information passed by the port and Consult is just one piece of software used by manufacturers (and as far as I am aware not released to the public). The reader itself can be programmed with any software package and providing the port on the reader uses the same protocols are the port on the car the software will read and can alter any setting the ECU allows.

Back