Suspension Upgrades

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namwens

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've got a 2.5L d22 and im looking at doing some upgrades on the suspension.

to start with, the ute currently has stock suspension.

the reason im looking to upgrade is that i want to start towing my track car around with the ute so i want to have some decent suspension in the rear that will be able to handle having a decent load on the back. being a complete newb when it comes to 4x4 suspension and towing, do i want to have stiffer shocks in the rear and stronger leaf springs?

now, the other reason i bought the navara is to do some mild off road stuff. so basically, is it going to be feasable to upgrade suspension for load and do a modest suspension lift at the same time, say 2 inch?

are there going to be different brands an different specific setups for heavy loads/off road stuff? I've had a look on zordos website. he sells a 50mm lift kit without mentioning a brand (looks like ironman in the picture though) which includes:

50mm UTE KIT
2 x Leaf Springs
4 x Shocks
Bush Kit, U/bolts
Greaseable Shackles -Not in Picture
Greaseable Pins -not in Picture
Torsion Bars- [optional] $300

Now, i've got a genuine nissan steel bullbar. I don't plan on upgrading to dual batteries or a whinch any time soon so is it worth upgrading the torsion bars at all?

any comment/suggestions are apprecaited.

I run Lovell leaf springs in the rear, they were $800 from memory or there abouts from Zordo, he was the only person that would sell me them.

Front runs Tough Dog torsion bars, $300 or there abouts.

Shocks, Bilstien all the way. Koni is the only other brand Id consider.

Dave.

Zordo does a neat efs kit which he has installed in my 2009 d22 ute. U can choose between comfort or heavy duty setup. I have the comfort as I don't carry loads and even if I do its not very much. His price us $1295 for everything but torsion bars. Price is including fitting. I would send him a private message and ask all that u need to. There are plenty of suspension threads in this section.

I am super happy with my setup but yet to take it off road. Got 45mm in front and 60mm in rear but has settled nicely.

Talk to zordo.

Goodluck

thanks dave. doesn't really shed any light for me though besdies what brands you like

Maybe but I paid for quality except the torsion bars.

There are only 3 plants in the world that make torsion bars and the all do the same job.

Dave.

lift kit

Gday everyone, just fitted old man emu lift kit to my 09 str, anyone had issues with nitro charger sport shocks on front hitting arms, looks like they will be going back not happy.

yeah someone else here mentioned that problem. Wore though the rubber boot i think too.

I've heart similar aswell bout tjm and arb installing wrong size shocks in both front and rear. Check ur rear shocks aswell for damage to tubing or to rubbers etc.

well i just orded dobonson sespenion
40 to 50mm lift with goes in on tuesday with my 3inch zorst.has any used them here

Most aftermarket shocks will hit on the upper control arm as they are so much bigger than the nissan matchsticks.
Just notch a bit from the arm & no problems
Cheers

Looking at upgrading the shockies on my 03 d22 from the standard crap that was on it when i got it, i mainly do road k's and a bit of beach driving fishing,just like a few idea's on which way to go,don't mind paying a bit extra for good quality.

Most aftermarket shocks will hit on the upper control arm as they are so much bigger than the nissan matchsticks.
Just notch a bit from the arm & no problems
Cheers

DONT TOUCH THE CONTROL ARMS
I have Nitrochargers and they are a good shock but contrary to ARB's policy of bolt on application the do foul the control arms. Mine have worn a happy groove into the outer sheath. When I slapped them on the counter at Accessories R Bullshit overpriced they said "yeah well you have to grind out clearance from the control arms"
Armed with documentation from Vicroads that states that any cutting, grinding or modification of suspension components would require engineers certification the response from the store manager was " Dont worry about that we do it all the time!" Not on my vehicle that already has faults from manufacturing and is in dispute with Nissan over warranty you f'ing dont! Not willing to refund or even acknowledge that their product was not as advertised and unfit for purpose I still have them.....Least of my problems

Absolutely Ridiculous Bullshit Dakar rear leaves fitted to rear have failed after less than 20k kms and have inverted after never carrying a load. Standard vehicle with canopy. Steer clear of them. The ones I have are nothing more than scrap metal and that is the opinion of Carrol springs in Cambelfield after I took the vehicle over and asked if they could be modified.
EFS Torsion bars fitted 6 months ago and after 15k kms one has lost its spring rate leaving the rh front wheel to happily bounce between bump stops. The originals failed after 20k kms. I have a steel bar and winch fitted.

All I want is a standard vehicle that handles like a vehicle built in 2009 not 1909!
Good luck on your journey to find suspension Nirvana.

Tough dogs might be worth a look shock wise.
Will replace dodgy EFS Torsion Bar under warranty but cant get it back into the workshop that provided them until late Jan. Happy with them and they made a massive difference over the standard - As mentioned above All aftermarket torsion bars in Australia come from Carrol springs manufacturing plant in Brisbane aside from Ironman that come from Chinese plant that manufactures the originals. Pedders, ARB, EFS, Lovells, etc etc come from the same place and only have different colored paint or stickers applied.

Looking at EFS HD rear leaves with greaseable shackles next and have a quote of $650 fitted which will be done at the same time as torsion bar includes wheel alignment.

It would be nice if you could get shocks with adjustable rebound and damping but the 4x4 community is considered a bunch of dumbasses and so you can only get generic units all with the same damping properties with model specific mountings.

YEAH RIGHT AIDO,GOT A PEDDER'S SHOP UP HERE, I GET MY WIFE'S CAR DONE THERE AND THEY ARE REALLY GOOD TO DEAL WITH, I'LL CHECK THEM OUT,GOT OTHER 4x4 SHOP'S ARB TJM??? FEW OTHERS I'LL CHECK OUT.

Hey Aido, this might sound like a stupid question, (but thats nothing new for me!) is there any reason you didn't just go for a lift kit to upgrade your suspension? people seem happy with the kits supplied by Zordo for example?

Pedders most expensive for same torsion bars.
They even admitted that yes theirs are the same as all others----- the most honest, but most expensive too. Wanted $480 for the bars alone plus fitting which equated to $820 including alignment! Had the EFS bars fitted for $350 by local shop with alignment. Shop around.

Back