Thermo Fan Fell off - Cost me a Radiator

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody418

Reaction score
So today i was about 100km out bush when i notice my engine warn light come on, I look over to see the temp starting to climb to the top of the gauge.

I get out to see coolant everywhere, the thermo fan had snapped off and smashed the cores on the radiator. So I get on the two way and lucky someone is around ( from a remote drill rig ) with a SAT phone. I call for a tow and get 4 15L bottles off the bloke to fill the car with water and managed to get about 30k filling it up every 5K as the temp started to got up. before i ran into my tow

So it was a exciting little outing. Looks like i need a new radiator thermo fan and housing a god knows what else. Gonna ring nissan tomorrow to see i my extended warranty will cover any of it

Did the shaft holding the thermo fan on snap, or did the bolts come loose?

If the shaft failed, I reckon Nissan would be pushing sh1t uphill to deny the claim. If the bolts came loose and it wobbled into the radiator, they'll fight you for all they're worth and in the end it'll have been cheaper for you to just get a new core + fan.

So i rang nissan and it looks promising, I have the 4L and it has a electric thermo fan as well as the engine fan. The molding housing for this broke sending the fan spinning into the radiator. checked it out good today and looks like its only the thermo assy and radiator that is damaged

That was lucky,

I went through Newman last year to stock up on fuel and supplies from off the CSR, we then went into the Rudell River NP before continuing North. Magic country around there, Newman wasn't too bad either compared to some of the other mining towns we went through.

Not a good day at all.

Good to see Nissan might cover it, about time they covered something.

Dave.

So i rang nissan and it looks promising, I have the 4L and it has a electric thermo fan as well as the engine fan. The molding housing for this broke sending the fan spinning into the radiator. checked it out good today and looks like its only the thermo assy and radiator that is damaged

Good to see Nissan covering the warranty.
I wouldn't have confidence that it wont happen again though, viewing the crappy design and lack of support. I was lucky enough to pick up a loose bolt holding the unit down before the same happened.
Don't over tighten the bolt as it's all plastic and one could easily bust the top tank.
Rd's

Latest posts

Back