D40 Question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOx

Reaction score
G'day All,

I have recently purchased one of those "Thumper" 75 amp hour dual batteries and am going to install it this weekend hopefully. The Thumpers controller which is mounted in the the engine compartment requires you to connect a wire to the windscreen wiper motor or anything that always has power, it uses this to activate the relay and isolate the starter battery from the Thumper.

My question is where is the windscreen wiper motor in the d40? as i have looked and failed to locate it. Also if this is not suitable is there anything else that is always live that i can splice into in order to activate the relay?

Thanks in advance.

Under the Bonnet Son!!

The manual shows is as follows.
wipermotor.gif

If you need a live wire I'd run it straight to the battery and save splicing into anything. But then maybe there is a reason Thumper suggest alternate ways I have no idea I've never been interested in the units enough to check them out.

I'm puzzled why they'd hook in to the wiper motor.

Not sure I'd reach for the motor and splice into the wiring, when the fuse would be better - and closer to the battery.

Seems odd to me but like I said I've not used Thumpers and some companies have pretty weird ideas. Although I'm suprised those on here with thumpers haven't mentioned such a connection method given that it seems so obscure. Unless their suggestion is to use the fuse for the wiper motor with is under the bonnet of the other side (from memory) but even then there is other live fuses and cables that can be got at just as easy.

Gday Krafty,

I believe they have chosen the windscreen wiper motor because when the vehicles ignition is on the windscreen wiper motor is live, and by connecting a small wire from the windsreen motor to the thumpers control box it activates the relay and will allow the thumper to charge from the main starter battery.

This is what they suggest in the paperwork and on the website, but there may be a better way than the windscreen wiper motor to connect to on the Navara. any suggestions.

To my way of thinking if you need a live wire it is just as easy to come off the battery than it is to go off anything else. I don't have a problem with the idea of using the wiper motor it just seems like an odd choice. The D40's don't have much room under the bonnet so it might be that Thumper assume their bits only fit somewhere close to the wiper motor but it still seems like an odd place to me considering all the other possibilities.

There's a fuse box just near the battery. Grab a multimeter, open the fuse box, test all the fuses and note which ones DON'T have power. Turn on the ignition and re-test those.

That's what I'd do to choose a "live when ignition is on" line.

The manual says that is the fuse box with the wiper motor fuse in it if one does go looking for that specific live wire.

30A fuse third from the bottom in the middle row of fuses.

hi iwas wondering how you got on connecting the thumper system up. and what wire did you end up hooking into.cheers

Gday tiger,

Using a multimeter and a friend to turn the ignition on and off 20 times, i found a fuse that becomes active when you turn the ignition to accessories. This then sends power to the front module which closes the relay and allows power to flow to the Thumper from the main battery.
The wire i spliced into comes of a fuse in the right hand side fuse box, behind the fuse box labeled fuse/fusible link holder in the d40 manual on page 8-6.

Thank you. I ended up doing as you did, using a multimeter and found a wire that became alive when the ignition was on. All working ok

Latest posts

Back