Buying New ST Navara???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyc

Reaction score
Hi All.
I am interested in purchasing a new ST Navara Auto. I would be towing a 2.5T Caravan. After driving and studing the specs i was very impressed. Reading comments on other forums i read a lot of negatives. Mainly Clutch problems( this is not a problem as i would have Auto).Other problem was breaking timing chain resulting in big dollar repairs. Another problem mentioned was Nissan warranty if you serviced elsewhere. Fuel economy was another one.I have asked this question on this forum as i would get answers from Navara owners. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Tony.

The early 2010 STs had turbo actuator problems, but haven't heard much about the later models - they might have fixed the issue.

I think the timing chain issue is a bit of a scare, I'm not sure that a properly-serviced and not overly-punished vehicle is going to have a lot of problems in that area.

I'm assuming you're talking a diesel. They do get a little thirsty with big loads, my 1.8T van generally uses 17-18LPHK which isn't too bad given it's a full height caravan and we prefer mountainous areas.

Nissan are not allowed to neglect the warranty if you service the vehicle elsewhere, although they will happily try to blame someone else for the problem - then again, what vehicle manufacturer wouldn't look for an easy out? They have to watch where they're spending and putting the onus on someone else is a cheap first attempt for them.

The other areas that would concern you, towing - the D40 Navara is a very comfortable vehicle to travel long distances in. Mine hauls our caravan nicely, through mountains, desert, forest trails, little back roads or freeways with ease. Sure it slows on the hills, but that's because I let it slow down - I don't believe in flogging it.

There are a couple of things you could do to the vehicle before a big trip, too. First is an EGR mod - just replace the gasket near the EGR valve with a piece of stainless steel (and use Permatex Ultra Blue sensor-safe gasket cement on both sides). If you cut it like the gasket, you'd hardly notice it during a vehicle inspection.

Also, consider fitting a catch can - these things pump oil out the PCV a lot more than petrol engines.

Apart from the other mods that you could get - driving lights, a snorkel, good window tinting and a decent in-dash GPS system would be my recommendations. If you're doing a lot of outback/bush (including coastal roads with sparse population) then to protect the vehicle from roos, emus and boars, you might consider a full steel bullbar. Fit some roo whistles (about $5 at auto stores) to the front of the bar.

At the rear, Hayman Reese make the hitch for Nissan and it looks like Nissan now use the multi-point mounting, so a load leveler (essential for the weight you're hauling) is going to be fine - just make sure that you ask for one with vertical and horizontal mounts and don't get old stock.

You probably already know about proportional brake controllers, but if you don't, we use a Tekonsha Voyager, but the Prodigy is a step up and you might consider that. Either works very adequately, but just make sure they use 6mm cable from front to rear, as the smaller cable gets warm under extended braking.

I think I've covered enough!

Tony, not sure if the new ST's still have a DPF? If they do I wouldn't buy one, but that is just my opinion...

I would highly recommend the auto over the manual. Having owned an auto D40, and having driven several manual D40's, they are like chalk and cheese. The manual gearbox is clunky and first gear is too high, the shifter throw feels awkward and inprecise. The auto however is smooth, seamless, well spaced ratios and swift kickdown when required. I am not overly familiar with towing practices but I believe transmission cooler's are often fitted to automatic vehicles that tow caravans/horse floats etc to prevent the transmission fluid boiling. Might be worth looking into.

Another point that may be worthwhile mentioning to you is that (I believe) the new ST-X has the semi-auto gearbox that the Pathfinder has, which I'm sure would be handy for towing.

At the rear, Hayman Reese make the hitch for Nissan and it looks like Nissan now use the multi-point mounting, so a load leveler (essential for the weight you're hauling) is going to be fine - just make sure that you ask for one with vertical and horizontal mounts and don't get old stock.

!

Tony
I don't mean to pinch the thread but what do you mean by 'vertical and horizontal mounts' on the Hayman Reese hitch? :sad:

In the 2009 hitch sold by Nissan as a "Nissan" hitch, they only had bolts that passed vertically through the chassis. Torsional loads like those developed by a load leveler would twist these bolts and bend the chassis at the point the bolts passed through.

The Hayman Reese-badged unit had those same vertical bolts but also had horizontal bolts that anchored the hitch firmly enough to support load levelers.

I could have those backwards - this was imparted to me by the salesman, who didn't charge any extra for the Hayman Reese hitch, just specified it as the HR version for the reason given.

So what you are meaning is the actual tow bar fitted to the vehicle, not the WDH that is sold separately by Hayman Reese?

My reason for asking is I have just fitted a model 550 HR WDH for towing our new van and it hangs down to the point I only have 240mm clearance under the hitch and I was hopeful there may have been a solution giving me a bit more clearance. :rock:

regards
Paul

It's the hitch receiver itself, bolted to the car, that used to be different.

We have a Hayman Reese 550 weight distribution hitch as well, with the 1" bars (max 250kg ball weight, 4545kg towed weight). I assembled mine, inverting the hitch so that it sat higher.

If it's a few mm out it won't affect the performance. I'd just flip it over, re-mount the ball by inverting its retaining plate and making sure the angle of the plate is correct with those adjusting plates in the side.

None of the 2010 models have a DPF. It's only us old bastards with the 2009 clunkers that have to look at removing the bloody things.

my auto st has a build date on june 2010 and its got a DPF.

That's interesting, there's been a few people on here say their 2010 models are DPF-less. Seems odd to me that Nissan would only stick it in cars for a year and them take them out when so many other companies are using them to meet different world standards but I've not taken enough notice of the 2010 models to worry about such things.

my manual 2010 st hasnt got one but i thought none of the manuals did and all of the autos had them

All the Thai builds are still using the older 128kW motor, so the auto gets the DPF. None of the manuals have ever had one regardless of its origin of birth.

ah thanks for that kingcab, i thought it may have been along those lines. i never really looked into different models etc when i was looking for a new ute, infact didnt think about it. i just looked at navara and hilux, drove both then gawk at the prive of the hilux.

ah thanks for that kingcab, i thought it may have been along those lines. i never really looked into different models etc when i was looking for a new ute, infact didnt think about it. i just looked at navara and hilux, drove both then gawk at the prive of the hilux.

The Hilux is so overpriced it's not funny. My old man has had Hiluxes and went to upgrade his 06 SR dual cab for a new Sr dual cab and they wanted $52k. It's basically lower specc'd than an ST Navara which you can pick up for $39k, in fact it's really closer to the RX which is near on $35k or less. Load of crap if you ask me.

Needless to say (with a strong recommendation from me) he went with an ST Navara, got it fully optioned with bullbar, long range tank, alloy tray, headlight/bonnet protectors, canvas seat covers etc for $46k. $6k cheaper than a bog standard SR hilux with no options and no tray.

Pardon my ignorance guys but what is a DPF?

DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter. In 2009, the auto had them, the manual didn't.

If you drive behind my 2009 model auto D40, you won't see any black smoke as I accelerate. Drive behind a manual 2009 D40 and you will.

That black smoke is soot - mostly burnt diesel. The DPF catches this, and completes the combustion process, removing the particles from the atmosphere.

So the DPF is an emission control device. Trouble is, it's a pain - in order to burn the excess particles, it needs raw diesel now and again to increase the temperature in the filter.

There are a number of threads here about the DPF, including some that get into technical mumbo-jumbo if you're interested.

The auto however is smooth, seamless, well spaced ratios and swift kickdown when required. I am not overly familiar with towing practices but I believe transmission cooler's are often fitted to automatic vehicles that tow caravans/horse floats etc to prevent the transmission fluid boiling. Might be worth looking into.

the auto will kick back from overdrive on slight hills towing,even to 3rd .it can be a pain when you are put out of the max torque range. they come standard with a large trans cooler,never had a problem with mine .the auto in the st is the same as earlier stx,not the current one.

Latest posts

Back