Stalled Start in a Manual D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
I was told today that you can't perform a 'stalled start' in a manual D40.

For those unfamilar with what I am referring to it... when a vehicle stalls up a steep incline to recover yourself, apply the handbrake and put your put of the brake. Select low range and reverse gear. Take the handbrake off and your foot off the brake let the driveline take up the load and then start the vehicle in gear and reverse back down.

You can't do it in a manual D40 as the ECU will not allow the engine to start unless the clutch is in. If you disconnect the sensor connector on the clutch pedal the ECU throws a big wobbly so I understand.

Is that the case manual D40 owners?

Gus

I don't see a sign of that in the manual I have. SC.PDF, p30 of 44:

M/T MODELS
Power is supplied at all times:
* to starter motor terminal 1 and
* through 40A fusible link (letter J , located in the fuse and fusible link box)
* to ignition switch terminal 1.

with the ignition switch in the START position, power is supplied:
* from ignition switch terminal 5
* to IPDM E/R terminal 21.

With the start signal is input to IPDM E/R CPU, power is supplied:
* through IPDM E/R terminal 14
* to IPDM E/R terminal 48.

Ground is supplied at all times:
* to IPDM E/R terminals 38 and 59
* from body grounds E21, E41 and E61.

Then the starter relay is turned ON.

The IPDM E/R starter relay is energized and power is supplied:
* from terminal 19 of IPDM E/R
* to terminal 2 of the starter motor.

The starter motor plunger closes and provides a closed circuit between the battery and the starter motor. The
starter motor is grounded to the cylinder block. With power and ground supplied, the starter motor operates.

Boss ... i did a reverse stall recovery on sunday in my manual D40 .... no problem what so-ever. With Aido standing directly in front of me.

Boss, whoever told you that - tell them to come to VNOG toolangi night run on saturday and i'll gladly proove them wrong.

My Jeep needs the clutch in to start, but I think its disengaged when in low range. No probs with the KC

Pat Callinan has a DVD called "How To 4wd" and in it he uses a Manual D40 to demonstrate how to do a stall recovery in reverse.

I have sought clarification and I am informed it is only affects the new series 4 manuals (from sept). Any series 4 owners out there?

i just downloaded 3 eps for pat callinan, and i reckon its good that there is some info out there, but it was like just one big add. all about the stuff to buy, and maybe 5mins on the canning stock route!

Latest posts

Back