Starting Problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnie1972

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a D21 trayback, Eng TD27.

Problem is when I turn the key, all is dead. No click from solenoid, battery is charged and the fuse is ok.

Any suggestions where to check or circuit diagram would help.

Thanks.

Thanks for the welcome, still learning my way around this site, also thanks for the quick replies!

Looked in the wiring loom to starter couldn't see fusable link, am I looking in the right place?

On the positive terminal check the small wire with a multimetre between the terminal and halfway down the wire and see if it is broken.

Hope that makes sense.

Dave.

There's no fusible link on the TD27 loom from memory, just a 10A or 15A fuse for the starter circuit.

On the D21 there is no relay to supply the starter solenoid, all the current for the solenoid has to go through the ignition switch, eventually the contacts in the switch arc and pit till they are ineffective. Grab some jumper leads and connect the +ve terminal to the spade connector on the back of the starter motor solenoid, if it kicks over then you need to: A) replace the ignition barrel with a new one, B) install a relay in the start circuit (google how to do this), or C) both A and B.

I installed a relay in mine before I swapped the TD27 out. The fix worked, I didn't replace the barrel.

I know it might be an obvious question, but how well charged is the battery? It could be showing 12V, but then when you hit the starter, the current draw drops the voltage so low the starter solenoid won't kick over. Do the lights dim when you try and start it?

Failing that, Dion's suggestion is good.

Back