purchasing CV's..where?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Hey all, i'm slowly preparing myself for a bit of a 4wd trip half-way around australia in the middle of next year, so i'm slowly collecting spares parts of things that are likely to break (either on the trip, or before)

i'm getting the suspension re-done tomorrow by Zordo's, so i'm going to have all the bits that he pulls out as spares, but for now i'm chasing up some CV joints.

where's the best place around brisbane to get them?
Are there different brands?

sorry for the newbie questions, I really have no idea about these things.

Pretty sure Joshy tested a few brands and said the genuine nissan cv is the strongest. so i'd email nizzbits

Any consolidated bearing company has them for about $150 new that is the whole shaft or get some 2nd hand from the wreckers.What sort of travelling are you doing as 08 Kingkab said its overkill but doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Pretty sure Joshy tested a few brands and said the genuine nissan cv is the strongest. so i'd email nizzbits

Nah i never tested the genuines against others, nissan wanted almost $1000 for one. I just went to one of the places on ebay and spoke to the guys, first set i got came out of repco box's, after i complained about them they said they would get me "better" ones, which just came in unmarked box's so who knows. I still broke them. Ended up getting some proto type larger cvs made up that Dave now has, but i never got a chance to test them.

If you feel the need to carry CV's on a trip around Oz, then you might as well pack a starter motor and alternator as they are just as likely to shit themselves.

My point is you cant take everything, a failed CV joint isn't catastrophic, just carry what you think you'll need to get to the nearest town, otherwise you'll need a trailer for all the spares.

dont know if the same could happen to a navara, but when my CV let go in my solid axle i lost all left hand steering as the CV cage shattered into about 6 pieces which lodged under the steering knuckle.

getting home sure was fun! and if out bush towing a trailer, no left turning would be a total KILLER

dont know if the same could happen to a navara, but when my CV let go in my solid axle i lost all left hand steering as the CV cage shattered into about 6 pieces which lodged under the steering knuckle.

getting home sure was fun! and if out bush towing a trailer, no left turning would be a total KILLER

Ifs dont have that problem. If you break a cv just unlock the hub. as there external all the busted bits will just fall out.

Wouldn't worry about carrying extra CV's.
Might need a spare front diff thou.
Like someone said, unlock the hubs and you will be find.
I drove a 100km across the Simpson desert in 2wd after blowing the front diff.
Only need 3 snatches over dunes and a 10 meter winch to the top of Big red.
You will be surprised how you can get in 2wd, and that's driving normally.

Don't take anything you can drive without as the extra weight will increase your chance of breaking stuff but make sure you have front & rear bearing sets, radiator hoses and fan belt. Like others have said you can't cover all potential breakages, all you can do is prep your vehicle well and drive carefully. If you need to you can get parts sent to most towns in Australia within a couple of days (for a price). I doubt you would break a CV driving around Australia sensibly, and only go playing when you are close to civilisation.
Cheers

Yeah ditto on the fluids, enough to do the lot incase you drown it plus sum spare for flushing or leak. Would scratch on the radiator fluid as water will do the trick untill back in civilisation. 2 x wheel & tyre plus plug kit, don't bother with tubes, bloody hard to put in and dangerous when they blow at speed.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back