fan belt zd30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyKyle

Reaction score
Gday,
got my d22's 120000km major service done today. along with them finding metal pieces through my diff oil which is a whole other story. i told them to check the tension of the fan belt as its slipps quite a bit. the dealer got back to me and the report was that to change the belt it would cost about $500 just for parts as he said the belt would be $75 and it needs a belt tensioner for $400ish. does this sound right. im questioning the belt tensioner part of it?

is it the tensioner gone or the tensioner assembly (the pulley)?
check by removing sump guard and put a big ring spanner on tensioner (there is a hex molded into it for this) and pull it back. if its really easy its probably stuffed, if its hard its ok.

with the ZD30 the bearing in the pulley is exposed and tends to get crap in it which stuffs the bearing. especially when that bearing starts to seize the plastic bush tends to get flogged out too. the squeal can sound like a slipping belt.
however mr nissan doesn't have replacement bearings so you have to replace the tensioner assembly at a huge cost. but if you pull the bearing out you can find a replacement at a local bearing supplier. patrol4x4.com has more info on it.

I got a got deal of $20 to change mine at 100,00km service.

Second Tweake's comment on the new bearing.

Dave.

I've had to change my tensioner assembly at about 110,000k after the almighty squeal started. Tried repacking the bearing but it didn't help. Had to fork out the ridiculous dollars for the whole kit...what a rip. Also replaced the belt before all this happened, $70. It's all good now.

Cheers,
Guido

Garry aka Nizzbits is joining up soon.

He can do em cheaper then your local dealer.

Dave.

think i read on patrol4x4 its easy enough to just replace the bearing yourself..and far cheaper.

hey how hard is it to replace the belt, whats the best way to do it and how long does it generally take. any info, tips/pointers would be great cheers guys.

Not hard at all. Get under your car and remove steel plate that goes under your radiator back to the cross member. Be carefull when removing the bolts for this plate as they are too small for the job they are trying to do, ie all the mud and dirt gets stuck in the weld nuts and they cease and the bolts break when you wind them out. Try to spray them with a bit of WD40 first if you can. Then, using a longish breaker bar with a 19mm (from memory) socket from underneath the car, turn the tensioner assembly with the hexagonal part of the tensioner. The hexagonal part of the tensioner is a part of the casting itself, not the 2 bolts that hold the tensioner in place. If the tensioner is in good condition it will be fairly difficult to start compressing the tensioner (particulary with the awkward angles you get when working under a car!), but once it starts moving it goes in fairly easily. Once the tensioner has been compressed, slide the fan belt off the crankshaft, and then from the top remove it from the other pulleys. How long does it take? Well, depends why your are taking off the fan belt and how many beers you have while doing it, if you were just replacing the belt, should take you about 1/2hr to an hour. When you are putting it back together, when compressing the tensioner, tie the breaker bar off to the chassis, this will keep the tensioner compressed and free up both your hands while you guide in the new belt.

Last edited:
yeh thanks for that...my my2002 d22 navarra just shit itself this morning-hpoing like fck that its only the belt..is this common??
morty
byron bay

Did it not start, run rough, run then stop, blow smoke?

Mine on only 3 seperate occasions when it was really freezing cold in the mornings started but then sounded like it backfired and then sounded like it was reversing the starter, probably wasnt that prob but just sounded ugly and it did happen with my old battery which was very flat, hasnt happened yet with the new stronger battery and its been 2 years now.

better late than never!! hahaha...
er rat had chewed the fan belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back