Heath d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heata

Reaction score
Heath's d22

I thought it was about time I started a ride thread, and posted up what I've done and what was next.
I bought the d22, at the end of June'10 after looking at a range of 4wd's and having previously owned a '97 Cherokee, and '93 (i think) pathfinder. With a budget of 30k I looked at used patrols, Pajeros, Colorados, Hiluxs, but couldn't go past the NEW d22 at the same price.
Anyway i ordered it with-ARB canopy, cruise and keyless entry, and shortly after added Nissan snorkel, and some Rhino racks

The goal for this truck is to create a capable touring vehicle that can take the family on a 'half lap' of aus in 2012 for my long service leave, focusing on the west.
heres how it started

Attachments

• DSCF0418.JPG
    DSCF0418.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 21,441
  • DSCF0356.JPG
    DSCF0356.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Next came the Bullbar, which i sourced through Nizzbits, and put on myself. Part of the game here is to do as much as possible myself, and build some skills in this area. This site has been a great help!

Attachments

• bullbar fitted.JPG
    bullbar fitted.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 173
Then came, dead pedal, and power to the canopy for the Engel. At this point the power is just screwed to the side of the window frame. It will stay there until I do the drawers, and fix it somewhere more permanent.

Attachments

• IMAG0042.jpg
    IMAG0042.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 190
  • IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 160
Looks Great.

What a truck. I bought the same in Aug 10. how many k's on yours now?

Regards

Greg

Geez you're quick! thanks mate, just about to clock 10,000. So far I'm happy, I feel for the blokes who haven't had a great run with theirs.

I was thinking that the next mods would be battery isolator and some driving lights, however a few trips with VNOG boys and I decided that some underbody protection was required. I sourced this one from Brown Davis, supplied by TJM, and decided I could fit it myself, (mind you prior to owning this truck, changing a set of wiper blades was the extent of my mechanical experience!) After a bit of swearing, and a few confused posts by myself, and a certain large, tatooed, V8 powered Nav driver was on the phone offering to help. :cheers!: Anyhow one way or another it went on. Its already looking scarred!

Attachments

• IMAG0060.jpg
    IMAG0060.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I enjoy the VNOG trips, but also like taking my boys out on my own, camping, walking and exploring. So I have been lugging a black rat hand winch in and out of the shed to the truck. I've had this thing for years and have had to use it a couple of times, but I'm sick of lugging it around. Also if you're doing touring, the time taken to recover with one of these, even from a minor bog, really ruins your plans for the day. So when SCA had a half price deal I couldn't resist. (yes, I hear the 'winch snobs' looking down their noses) But I'll see how it goes and if I get a few years out of it I'll call it 350 well spent. So I tackled the install myself, and with a few posts back and forth from Old Tony, I think I got there. I'll get a chance to test it out soon.

Attachments

• control box from front.jpg
    control box from front.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 168
Great work Heata.
Good job on the bash plate - gives good peace of mind.
I'll be interested to see how the winch goes - and I hope it goes well for you........so you can use it to recover me!
Like you - I just continue to learn stuff from this site and from chatting with the VNOG lads.

Cheers!

i agree underbody protection is high on my list. After going out last week with vnog and getting the ute stuck on its guts, will have to start looking at what i need. AS for your power for fridge i mounted mine behind tail light in tub nice flush fit. nice thread keep it up

So when SCA had a half price deal I couldn't resist. (yes, I hear the 'winch snobs' looking down their noses) But I'll see how it goes and if I get a few years out of it I'll call it 350 well spent.

Geez ... for that price i might buy one and see if i can put it on as a removeable REAR hitch mount and just plug it into an anderson plug i already have at rear of car ....

Great thread Heath. Its been great to meet you and see you tackle the tracks with the D22's that have all the mod's and your still getting through without any major drama's. Also looking forward to seeing you at all the VNOG events ...

i agree underbody protection is high on my list. After going out last week with vnog and getting the ute stuck on its guts, will have to start looking at what i need. AS for your power for fridge i mounted mine behind tail light in tub nice flush fit. nice thread keep it up

that sounds like a good idea, any chance of a pic?

Today I put in a 12v outlet to the back of the centre console. Mostly for the kids DVD player. The whole centre console came out pretty easily, I havent connected it yet, but I think i'll just tap into the front cigarette lighter, since the dvd player claims to draw1.5 amps only, and the front one is only really used for charging phones.

Attachments

• IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 81
Today I put in a 12v outlet to the back of the centre console. Mostly for the kids DVD player. The whole centre console came out pretty easily, I havent connected it yet, but I think i'll just tap into the front cigarette lighter, since the dvd player claims to draw1.5 amps only, and the front one is only really used for charging phones.

You going to run a cable into the tub for your Engel?

You going to run a cable into the tub for your Engel?

yep, done. See post 4 of this thread. I ran cables from 2nd battery direct to the tub. I still need to put isolator in, but at this point I've had the fridge run for 24 hours and still had power to start, so its not too urgent yet, my credit card is smokin this time of year...
and this truck is becoming an expensive addiction

An Awning will no doubt be on the list of upcoming additions.
Your going about it the right way H. As you have proven a standard vehicle is capable of most everything.

The laughing faces ( they look like this :big_smile::big_smile: ) on your young fellas is testament to how much fun you are getting out of it.

yep, done. See post 4 of this thread. I ran cables from 2nd battery direct to the tub. I still need to put isolator in, but at this point I've had the fridge run for 24 hours and still had power to start, so its not too urgent yet, my credit card is smokin this time of year...
and this truck is becoming an expensive addiction

Highly recommend the Redarc isolator, simple to install and very robust.

Hey we have to spend our money on something, you only live once might as well enjoy every moment :cheers!: Your boys will remember these trips for the rest of there lives, My old man took me fishing once:sad:

Yeah, then kids do love it, and bore their mother stupid with constant talk of trucks and 4wds. But in all seriousness its great to have a hobby that includes your family. The mods to come include an awning, drawers, isolator (if the red arc is simple, it'd be right up my alley:sarcastic:) and spottys. A camper trailer to come in 2011, and then suspension to match, ideally 2 inch lift, and stiffen up the rear to tow, but that requires research I'm yet to begin.

will get a photo after xmas of power socket and i am happy with my redarc. Started out on the hilux now on the nav, Cheap simple effective.

Latest posts

Back